Chapter 24

“She's not going to make it. She's losing a lot of blood.” claimed Ralph as the three of them stood in the nursery as the sheriff was performing a c-section on Cora's mother. The baby had come a lot earlier than they expected, relying on them for an emergency c-section.

Sawyer knew out of all things to be mentally prepared for, but he wasn't prepared for this. He had never seen an actual live birth before, and this was the first. The sound of flesh ripped open, and the smell of fresh blood hit the room.

It was almost too good to be true, though when that first cry echoed in the room, it was like a new ray of hope filled his chest. He helped Cora wrap the newborn baby boy in a baby blanket.

They both looked over at Carrie, who became unconscious by the looks of it. “Mom? Mom?” Cora called out. Something felt off in Sawyer's guts as he watched as Ralph held two fingers to the woman's throat, but not before he shook his head, placing a hand on Mike's shoulder.

“I'm sorry. She's gone.” he claimed as Mike began to sob over the loss of his wife. He felt his shirt become wet as Cora cried into it, only for her to scream in terror when her mother turned and bit the sheriff in the arm

“Get them out of here! “ Mike yelled at Sawyer, shooting straight up from his seat.

But Sawyer was already rushing Cora and her newborn brother out of the room as they heard the terrifying screams of Ralph.

“GO! GO! GO! “ Sawyer yelled at Cora as she held her baby brother in her arms. He quickly grabbed a gun off the wall as they made their escape to the minivan. The sound of gunfire from the cabin and the baby crying had attracted walkers nearby.

Sawyer was having a little trouble getting the minivan started as walkers climbed and pounded on the vehicle. “Why won't it start!? “ yelled Cora.

“I don't know. It's stuck or something.!” Sawyer yelled back as he slammed his fist on the dashboard. “Work you piece of shit!” he yelled angrily at it. Yeah, as if yelling helps. He thought.

Finally, Sawyer was able to start the van, though there were too many walkers on top of it that they were blocking the way. “I can't get through.” Sawyer claimed as he tried to look for an exit.

Suddenly, he heard the sound of a gun clicking and gunfire.

Boom. Boom. Boom.

Mike had shot three or four walkers dead, creating an exit way. “Hang on!” Sawyer warned Cora as he pressed his right foot on the gas pedal and floored it.

“We can't just leave him!” Yelled Cora as she looked back at her father as he handled the herd.

“I gotta get you two out of here.” Sawyer shouted.

“I'm not going anywhere without him!”

Sawyer couldn't help but let out a small groan of frustration. “Take the wheel then! “ he ordered.

“What?”

“Take the wheel!”

They soon switched the position with Cora in the driver's seat as Sawyer opened the sunroof. He picked up his own gun and started aiming it at the walkers that were surrounding the porch. Killing off a few more walkers.

He felt the van come to a halt as Cora slammed on the brakes, but not before she ran over a few walkers herself. Sawyer turned towards Mike, who was standing his ground as he continued to shoot walkers left from right.

“Come on!” Sawyer yelled at the man as he motioned for him to come,catching his rifle when he threw it at him. He watched as Mike took the leap of faith and almost slipped off the van, though Sawyer managed to grab onto his arms, pulling him inside. Ducking as the man squeezed his way in. Closing the sunroof, before Cora took off again.

…………….
A few weeks had passed since the cabin's been overrun. They managed to find a safe haven in Ralph's log cabin. About a 2 hour drive from their own.

Cora had named her little brother Charlie after Charlie Brown, claiming it was hers and her mother's favorite movies to watch every Christmas movie before they opened presents.

Despite Ralph being a survival nut case, it seemed that they had been running low on ammo and food faster than they could believe it. However, Mike seemed to have a back plan in store.

“It's a little further out. A three day journey, at least. We have enough food and supplies to get us there.”  claimed Mike as he and Sawyer went over the plan.

“What is it? Do we know who they are?” asked Sawyer.

“I heard it's a prison community. We were originally gonna go when Carrie was alive, but then you know.” said Mike as the room fell quiet.

“How do we know if they will take us in.?” Sawyer questioned. He wasn't too sure about this community. Were they friendly and welcoming, or was Mike leading them all to death?

“The woman on the phone said it was safe. They have children there and women, too. “ claimed Mike. Sawyer never had the heart to tell Mike that the phone wasn't connected to anything since it was obvious that something had pulled the cords out.

He knew he was still grieving over the loss of his wife and was most likely slowly losing his mind. But the other part of him was for sure there could be a community out there that could help them.

“When do we leave?” asked Sawyer.

You leave tonight,” said Mike.

“You mean we leave tonight?” Sawyer questioned, looking at Mike confused.

But Mike only shook his head no. “I won't be able to make it.” he claimed only to confuse Sawyer even more. When Cora was out of sight, Mike whispered something in his ear.

“I've been bit.” he whispered as Sawyer looked at him shockingly. He never even noticed that his friend showed any symptoms. But he wondered how he managed to hide them so well after getting bit.

“Yesterday, when I went back to get whatever supplies we had.” explained Mike. “I'll just slow you guys down.”

“We can't make it without you,” said Sawyer.

“Sure you can. You're a tough kid.” claimed Mike.
………..

Later on that night, after the two of them loaded the van, Mike said his last goodbyes to his children as Sawyer watched them leaning against the vehicle.

It wasn't until they heard the single gunfire coming from Ralph's house that Sawyer started the minivan and made his way down the road.

It was silent that night, no one talked. Even little Charlie didn't cry at all.

………………
Author's Note:
Alright, guys, I'm pondering ideas left and right. Should Cora and Baby Charlie be with Sawyer when they find the prison, or should they even last long at all?  Let me know what you think,