Chapter 29

A few days had passed,and Sawyer was slowly getting better. 

After breakfast, Sawyer joined Michonne and Hershel to burn the bodies from the last outbreak. It kinda felt good to be doing useful things again. Though he wished it wasn't burning the dead. It reminded him of Daryl showing him Cora’s body before he and Tyreese spent all afternoon in silence, burying her next to Karen. 

“I thought maybe after this I could uh, go search for Carol?” Sawyer questioned as he scratched his head. Both Michonne and Hershel grew quiet as they exchanged glances. He hated the fact that whenever he brought up taking a search party for the woman, everyone practically ignored it. Even Daryl had told Sawyer that she wasn't coming back, though he never explained why. 

“No? Okay; I didn't think so.” said Sawyer, practically mumbling to himself as he helped remove the bodies from the truck before he watched as the two lit a torch and lit the pile on fire. 

They stood there in silence for a few seconds before Sawyer headed towards the front of the truck, only for Sawyer to be met with a pistol hitting him in the face, sending the man falling down to the ground. 

……………………….

When Sawyer came through, he woke up with a huge headache and a wound on his head. He looked around and saw he was in an RV. 

“Welcome back, son.” claimed Hershel, causing Sawyer to look over to see their hands ties. Sawyer looked down at his and saw his were ties to. 

“Where are we?” Sawyer asked. 

“The important thing is to remain calm and let me do the talking.” replied Hershel. 

Sure thing, old man, I'll remember that the next time we're taken hostage  If there's a next time. Thought Sawyer as his attention turned to the door when a man with an eye patch walked inside and put a bandaid on Sawyer's head. 

“Just tell us what this is all about,” said Hershel. “Please. “ he added. 

“It isn't personal.” claimed the man as he went through his medical supplies. 

“Feels personal. '' muttered Sawyer as he felt his forehead. Yup, it still stings. 

“Then what is it?” asked Hershel. But the man ignored him. 

“Michonne. I just want you to know Penny, my daughter. I knew She was dead. I know that now.” claimed the man. 

“Now I don't want to hurt you. I don't want to hurt anyone. I want the prison.” he said. “That's it. I have people I need to keep alive.” he added. 

“You three are gonna help me take it.No one needs to die. “

“I'm gonna kill you.” said Michonne. 

Don't say that Mich or you get us all killed! Thought Sawyer with a little bit of panic in his chest. 

“No you won't.” claimed the man, but Michonne continued until Hershel stopped her.

Thank god for Hershel. Sawyer continued to think as he listened to Hershel and the man talk. 

“You want the prison?” asked Hershel. 

“Yeah and I'll take it as peacefully as I can.” claimed the man, but something didn't seem right to Sawyer. Why did he kidnap us if he claims he wants peace?

“Governor– “ started Hershel but was interrupted by the man.

“Your people. Our people. We can find a way to live together.” continued Hershel. “These people you need to keep alive, do you love them?” 

“You're a good man, Hershel. You're a better man than Rick.” 

For the next few minutes, Sawyer listened as Hershel tried to reason with the man, only for him to get nowhere. 

“Because they aren't mine.” claimed The Governor before he walked outside. 

“Is he the one that killed Merle?” Sawyer finally asked after a moment of silence. 

“Yup. “ answered Michonne. 

We’re gonna die. I just know it. 

…………………

The next thing he knew, they were just outside the prison with The Governor calling out for Rick. One by one, they were taken out of the vehicle and lined up. 

“Is Hershel on the council? '' began The Governor. 

“What about Michonne? “ he added. 

“And Sawyer? Are they on the council, too?” 

It didn't take long until Rick made his way down to the fence. The only thing on his mind was Charlie and Daryl. 

“Let ‘em go now.”called out Rick, gaining Sawyer’s attention. “I'll stay down here. Talk as long as you want.” The man added. 

“But you let them go. You have a tank. You don't need hostages.” He continued. Sawyer knew at least hoped Rick would be able to get them out of this mess. 

“I do. This is just to show you I'm serious.” claimed the Governor. “Not to blast a hole in our new home.”

For the next few minutes, he kneeled beside Hershel and Michonne, listening as Rick and The Governor talk. Only flinching a tiny bit when he watched as the Governor killed three walkers, making their way over. 

“The noise will only draw them. Making it harder for you to leave. “ the man called out to Rick. “You got about an hour of sunlight left. I suggest you start packing.” He added. 

Please, Rick, just take the damn offer. I wanna live! Thought Sawyer. 

“We can all– We can all live together. “ started Rick. “There's enough room for all of us,” he added. 

“More than enough.” agreed The Governor. “But I don't think my family would sleep well knowing that you were under the same roof.” He claimed. 

Rick and The Governor continued to talk. But Rick had said something that seemed to piss the Governor off as he watched the man grabbed Michonne’s sword and place it at Hershel’s neck causing panic and fear to swarm through Sawyer's body and his limbs to go numb. 

Please, not Hershel! Not Hershel! Thought Sawyer feeling useless as he listened to Rick try and convince them all that they could live peacefully together. But the Governor wasn't buying it at all. 

“We're not too far gone.” claimed Rick.

"LIAR!”

The next thing Sawyer knew was the sound of a sword swinging and meeting flesh. But it wasn't just Hershel’s flesh he heard the sword go into. 

It was his…