Chapter 44

Sawyer had gotten up early before everyone else.There were a few early birds in the marketplace, but most seemed to be some of the luientants . Even Laura seemed to be up early.

“I want you to take a patrol out to go look for supplies.” Simon's voice from behind him nearly made the man jump. But he only nodded at the second in command.

One of these days, that will be me barking orders at Simon. Sawyer thought, ever so bittersweet.

After breakfast,Sawyer had gathered his team. Per usual, it would consist of Morales,Samantha,Erica, Tin, and occasionally Laura. But Laura had other plans for the day. According to Simon, when Sawyer had given him his list of people, he wanted to join his run.

The others would soon join him as he made sure the vehicle they were using was in good shape before they left. He had always had the bad habit of checking vehicles before anyone would leave. He would rather be safe than sorry.

“I heard you're going on a run today?” called out a harsh voice. Sawyer recognized that voice anywhere.

“What do you need, Bud?” Sawyer questioned, a hint of annoyance in his voice. But he was careful in showing it. Bud and his biker gangs were more cruel than others. He had heard stories about them from Laura and some others and was often told not to mess with them.

Despite no one actually liking Bud and his gang, it was only Sawyer who had tolerated them. Mostly because they often had something good for Sawyer to trade with.

“Need mode fuel for our bikes.” Bud claimed.

I just got them more last week. They burn more fuel than anyone else. Sawyer thought in annoyance at the request. Sawyer and his group would have to triple the amount of a run to take to even get them enough fuel and to make sure the rest of them had the same amount.

There was one rule Sawyer had to follow when making his runs, especially with certain requests: whoever had a certain request, he had to make sure he got double to share with the rest of the Saviors. It was especially exhausting with Bud's continuous request for fuel.

He was for sure by now that he had wiped out every gas station that had any fuel left within a mile radius, and nowadays, fuel was rare to find. It wasn't as if Sawyer knew how to make fuel, which would most indeed come in handy for them, and Sawyer didn't dare think of suggesting they go solar.

“What do I get out of it?” Sawyer questioned Bud. This would be the first time he had ever asked Bud for something in return.

“To live for the next day.” Bud tried to threaten, It was typical of Bud to threaten people, especially to get what he wants. It wasn't something that Sawyer wasn't used to.

“Just saying, fuel’s harder to find nowadays. You're burning more fuel than anyone else. My group would have to go a long way to get triple the amount. So what do I get out of it?” Sawyer pushed once more.

Bud had looked at him with a wrinkled nose and squinty eyes. It was the same look Sawyer often gave Simon whenever Simon was getting on his nerves or gave him an obnoxious task.

Before he knew It, Sawyer and Bud were standing in front of a group of motorbikes. Some were too worn down to even ride, but that didn't mean they couldn't use any parts. Some didn't even get to be riding, but Sawyer was never allowed to take fuel from those ones.

“Pick one. If you can get it running, it's yours.” claimed Bud.

“None of these work. How does that make it a fair trade?” Sawyer questioned Bud. Of course,Sawyer knew none of them would work as he was the one who would often strip them for parts.