Chapter 42

Sawyer skidded to a stop as soon as he saw what was happening around the corner. Tin had led him to where Clementine was, only to find her being pressed back up against a wall against her will. The guy twisting her side braid in between his fingers. The other hand, being where it wasn't supposed to be.

He didn’t recognize the guy,at least not with his back towards him. Tin was hiding behind the corner, but Sawyer had mouthed to him to go get someone in which he was thankful that the boy had quickly got the memo. 

As soon as Tin had left, Sawyer walked up straight to the guy, putting a finger up to his mouth as if telling Clementine not to make sound before tapping the guy on his shoulder. 

“I said beat it, kid!” berated the guy, but the next thing Sawyer knew his fist was slamming into the guy's nose as soon as he turned around. The two of them ended up being on the floor with Sawyer straddling him as he continued to throw one punch after the other. 

At that moment, he kinda just let his anger let loose as he continued to beat the guy's face. 

Angry for the world falling apart. 

Angry for losing his memories and not being able to get them back. 

Angry at the woman who caused him to lose his memories and almost killing him. 

Sawyer hadn't stopped punching, not until Dwight and Laura had to literally throw him off the man whose face was now badly beaten and bruised. Sawyer could feel his chest huffing and puffing as Negan had looked at him as if he had just seen the most amazing thing. 

Clementine had scurried over to Sherry and the other wives who had quickly led her away to be comforted. Sawyer had looked over at Negan, already waiting to hear the talk from him or to be punished himself.But once more, Negan just had a huge smile on his face that spread from ear to ear.

“I have no idea what just happened. But boy, it must have felt good. Huh?” Negan sang before he turned to look at the Savior. 

“Take him to the cells. We will deal with him later.” said Negan before the man turned to Sawyer. 

“Why don't you go to Dr. Emmett. Get your hands looked at. Make sure nothing's broken. Then we will have a little talk later. ” Negan claimed. 

Sawyer only nodded at Negan before he followed Tin to Dr. Emmett's room. 

By the time Dr. Emmett was done grumbling about having two patients in one day, Erica had come by to collect Sawyer and deliver him to Negan. But they weren't heading off to Negan’s room. Instead, they had arrived with everyone else who had gathered around the furnace. 

“How's Clemmy?” Sawyer asked Erica as they made their way to the main floor. 

“Still shaken up. But Sherry and the others haven't left her side. Laura and Arat are pissed off, though.” replied the woman. 

“I'm in trouble, aren't I?” Sawyer asked after a moment of silence as he fiddled around with his wrapped hand. Luckily, he didn't break any bones, but it would take a while for his hand to heal. 

“I can't really say.” said Erica as they stopped at the foot of the stairs, and he knew she was telling the truth. 

They had joined in the front, standing next to Sherry and the other wives. Sawyer had glanced over at them, seeing Clementine being guarded by the women. He had given her a small nod when she had mouthed thank you to him before he had turned to listen to Negan's speech about rules.

“I'm not going to punish you.” Negan cooed at the man, Sawyer could barely recognize the man he had just beaten up, but had guessed that his name was Wren. 

“Soy Sauce will, though.” claimed Negan, causing Sawyer to look up in confusion when he was handed a hot metal iron from Dwight who had been standing by the furnace, heating it up.

Negan had taken the iron and given it to him. Of course, it was hot, so Sawyer had to take precautions. But as soon as Sawyer had put the iron as close as to Wren's face, he couldn't help but look down at the man who begged not to be iron, often repeating for forgiveness. After a moment of hesitation, Sawyer backed off, dropping the iron on the floor and shaking his head as if telling Negan he couldn't do it. 

Sawyer was half expecting Negan to be disappointed or even angry at first, but instead, Negan pulled Sawyer aside, tugging at his shirt. He leaned forward and whispered something so harsh but so quiet that only Sawyer could hear. 

But it was enough for Sawyer. It was as if a light switch flickered on and off. The man glanced from Erica to Clementine and then back to Erica before he looked up at Negan, who only gave him a small grin and approving nod. 

Before Sawyer knew it, he gripped onto Wren's shirt tight enough for the man to not be able to get free and dragged him across the floor, ignoring the pleading cries from the man as Sawyer then tossed him into the burning furnace.

As he listened to Wren's dying screams,Sawyer had finally come to the realization that it was “Survival of the Fittest.” living at the Sanctuary and if he was going to survive, nobody was going to stop him. 

He was going to be the last man standing…