17: A Delightful Dinner

Ana and Raven walked down the corridors as a pair. Taking turns to be first to lead when the hallways got too crowded and they couldn't stand side by side. Yet they continued to talk about classes of their first day. Telling each other stories of what happened in their lessons. Lesso's lesson took front and centre for most of that conversation. It seems all her lessons are pure chaos for her to enjoy. Yet although Ana and Raven were joking and laughing about classes all Ana could think about was the spirit. The door. What did it want? Why was it following her?

You've been here one day and you have already cause unnecessary problems. Ana scolded herself harshly in her mind while laughing with Raven about their last encounter.

"I seriously don't get how you change so quickly," Raven laughed "and the look on her face,"

"I guess it is some sort of a reflex," Ana shrugged as they continued to navigate the busy corridor. She decided to speak truthfully as she had never had anyone answer like that before "I have not really given it much thought. I thought everyone could do it,"

"No or at least I can't," Raven replied as Ana laughed at Raven who seemed to have changed to a confused state. "Maybe with a lot of practice but I've never had social skills,"

"They will come do not worry. It is about confidence, lovely," Ana smiled at her as they continued down the corridor.

"Confidence is another thing I need," Raven said spiralling into an unforgiving hole of self doubt.

"Do not do that," Ana started "Look. I am well aware we have only known eachother for a day or two but it will come. You have to be patient and you need to try. People are not as bossy as Christina I can assure you," Ana laughed. Luckily Raven gave a subtle giggle too as the silence between them started. Raven took in the words Ana had said before Ana began again "To put it in perspective, Dragons start off as small and almost powerless creatures. Correct?" Raven gave a small nod in return "When they grow, train and fight they become more powerful, feared even. You are a dragon in your early stages, you will become powerful. You just need to spread your wings first,"

"Thank you, Anastasia," Raven said smiling to herself and trying to lift her head up from the books she was carrying.

"Call me Ana," Ana said "Anastasia is just not it,"

"Not it?" Raven laughed not knowing what that meant.

"Not it," Ana repeated as they turned into the dinner hall. It was packed. Evers and Nevers sitting together again as the weather was horrid. Still stormy outside. "Now hurry up and get in the queue I am starving,"

Both the girls rushed to the line, which luckily was not too long. Around three people stood in front of them so the line moved very quickly. Soon the girls grabbed their trays, cutlery and crockery. The ladies serving the dinner looked as fed up as they did at lunch.

Same girl same and it is only day one. Ana thought as she moved behind Raven.

The menu for tonight you may be wondering, what is it? If you guessed gruel you get a cookie. To go along with that perfect meal was half a pigs heart that had been grilled, probably on a nasty grill that had never been cleaned but Ana didn't want to think about that. The heart was covered in a chunky yet watery cheese sauce. Delightful everyone's perfect meal, right?

"I love how they serve gruel all the time," Ana said in a sarcastic tone as they approached the table "It is my favourite!"

"Really? I thought you hated it?" Jay said adding himself to the conversation.

"Of course I do not you idiot! It is fucking disgusting," Ana exclaimed searing herself at the end of the table opposite to Raven who sat next to Jay and Ana sat next to Hazel.