27: Down The Rabbit Hole

Ana and Jay were the first to leave. The three girls on the opposite side of the hall just shot them glances of which if a look could kill they'd be dead. They walked through the halls before they parted ways for the night. Ana went up the staircase and entered the familiar hallway of which her bedroom lived. She dragged her feet across the hallways, yawning in the process and almost walking into the wall while she did so. It was then she realised how tired she was, it came over her like a tsunami. 

She turned and opened her door. She stumbled inside and closed the door behind her. She rubbed her eyes as she walked across the room. Past all three of the girls beds, most messy with papers, blankets and others just weren't made the morning they stepped out of them. Ana's was no different, here's was filled with paper, textbooks and clothes. She placed her books down on the dresser placed at the foot of the bed.

She yawned as she grabbed her pyjamas and heading to the bathroom. She put them on and put her hair into a half up half down hairstyle, or well the parts that would go up. Her bob meant most of it didn't even reach the back of her head. Ana walked dragging her feet behind her as she got into bed. Too tired to even care if she'd completed her nightly routine or not. She crawled into bed and closed her eyes. Relaxing onto her side as her heavy eyelids took their toll and she relaxed into the peace.

Yet today, tonight, Ana's mind didn't choose peace, it very much chose violence. It wasn't long before her head depicted a beautiful forest. It sparkled in the sun. She walked through the trees following the path forward. Ana looked around at the trees, vines and moss all depicted in the most fairy like way. Flowers and leaves covered the grown as grass peaked through the gaps. She smiled as she breathed in the refreshing breeze. She let her body lead itself forward towards... towards... hang on what is that?

Even I can't go this far... Reader, There is much danger ahead, blood you don't want on your hands. Know that if you carry on... if you carry on. This will no longer be a fairytale, yet a nightmare of which you think you can escape but in fact it will always follow you. I cannot persuade Ana any longer, the blood magic, even in such small amounts, has worked too quickly. Do you wish to continue? If you do, you are a brave soul. Ok here we go let's see what I can see.

It was foggy, yet I tried to tune into Ana more. The smog covered the paradise and it led Ana to something that started to reveal itself. The smog cleared to reveal bodies. Dead bodies. At least 7 maybe 8. Definitely not 9 a singular arm doesn't count. So let's say around 8... And a fifth. Blood marked the grass with its thick metallic shine. The smell indicated they had been dead for a couple of hours at most. The girl gasped at what was laid out in front of her.

It was a bloody crime scene. Ones head was bludgeoned in, unrecognisable. Others had swords, daggers and maybe even axes to them. Only around 4 had wounds as such. 2 had been burned, their skin had melted from their bodies. It ran down into the grass like melted wax, the muscle did the same revealing bone. That was what smelt the worst, the burnt skin. Then the other... it was tricky to pin point. Maybe it was a magical attack. They looked so pale, like their skin was translucent. Or well close to it. The eyes were pure white and their jaw was ripped off. Yet there was no blood. The only body of which if it had blood on it it wasn't theirs. The faces of them were all unrecognisable. Either that or they had no face. No eyes, no mouth (except one) and not even a nose.

Ana fell back in shock. She turned shielding her eyes from the horrors. When she looked back she realised she was outside of a maze. Roses, white roses, painted red with their blood. The vibrant white shone through easily as the blood dripped off of the petals. She looked at the entrance to see a shadow. It was someone. A man definitely, Ana concluded due to his body shape and his height. She stood, not scared of the possible murderer.

"What did you do to them?!" She yelled walking towards him. It was at that moment the shadow ran. "What did you do?! Where are you going?"

No matter how much she shouted he ran. She followed him through the maze, following him as precisely as she could. She followed him through the twists and turns, it was then she realised how dark it was. She squinted her eyes to try and see his dark shadow in the moons useless light. She still ran. Running so fast her feet could barely catch up. Her short hair blowing in the wind followed her as she shot down the mazes lanes.

It when then she saw the shadow pause. It turned realising it had made a wrong turn somewhere and he was in a dead end. He turned quickly and panicked as he looked around. Ana's hand grew hotter and her mind grew fond of giving the shadow a piece of her mind. She walked forward.

"No where to hide now," Ana said "Made a wrong turn somewhere,"

The shadow looked like he was talking, moving his head. He was a shadow so he had no lips to even talk. He was just a black void.

"What are you doing?" Ana asked advancing towards him. "Come here!"

She ran towards him but never reached him as she fell down a hole. It was a dark void, like the shadow but bottomless. It was almost as if she was falling in slow motion. She stared at the man as he threw a knife in the direction she was stood. Or well what looked like one.

"No!" She yelled as she fell quicker and quicker. She turned and realised the tunnel did in fact have a bottom. It was headed directly to her. She screamed and collided with the floor. The impact passed through her body as she shot up. Her eyes opened and she was back. Thank fuck! Ana participated.

She wiped the sweat off of her forehead and rubbed her eyes to wake herself up slightly. As she removed them she looked upon them to find them wrinkled, warty and covered in moles. She was about the shriek but not before she realised the other girls were asleep. Given their current situation she didn't wish to wake them. She started the breath faster and she started to shake. Feeling the tight feeling in her stomach and on her chest. Like she couldn't breathe. She quickly got out of bed and opened the window next to her bed. She stood near the cool breeze of the night and started to focus on her breathing. Breathing in and out while avoiding eye contact with her arms.

It wasn't long before her breathing slowed and she looked upon her arms again. Her skin drooped over her bones as if she were 86. The warts only covered the backs of her hands and wrists. The moles covered both arms, it was like an aggressive dot to dot that sagged.

She closed the window and ventured to her dresser. The one thing she kept from her princess days were gloves. Black gloves of which she attended many events with. They covered her hands and went up to her mid forearm. They were made of a solid colour of fabric, stretching and flexible. They were one of her least expensive pairs and one of which she had many copies of. So if she did light them up in flames she had at least 7 more pairs.

She felt better that they were covered, then they could be forgotten about. The trails were next week. She needed to be on her A game to get to them and nothing was getting in her way!

Wait hang on. Ana are you sure? You never showed interest in the games till now. How will you know you'll survive. Yet no matter how much I plead Ana can never heard me. I am but a quill dear reader and the quill cannot interfere with the story. Only create it with ink.