29: The Lunch Before

Lesso stood at the bottom of the stairs to Dovey's office absolutely bricking it. Dovey had been... different? Yeh different is how I'll put it, over the past few weeks she'd been different. Lesso carried a tray in one hand and a cane in the other. She has decided to bring Dovey's lunch to her as she had not appeared for it and the ceremony for the first years was in under half an hour.

Lady Lesso climbed the stairs carefully. Her leg was hurting badly today. It had flared up in the night, yet she didn't let that stop her. She struggled up the stairs slowly and it ended up taking her at least 5 minutes longer than usual. Lesso still powered through, no matter how much the pain stung and how much she was out of breath. No matter how badly Dovey had treated her it didn't change how she felt. How madly in love she was with her. Up the school for good she continued and it wasn't long before she reached the top. She breathed a sigh of relief before leaning her walking stick against a wall. She straightened out her outfit before she declared it perfect picking up her walking stick with approval. She took a deep breath before knocking on the door with the metal handle of her walking stick. There was no answer but that's not what Lesso was after, as she entered within seconds of her first knock. 

"I thought I'd bring your lunch up, darling," Lesso smirked while walking towards Dovey's desk, trying to ignore the pain in her leg. The evil dean looked around the room and per usual there was not a spec of dust in sight. Lesso would swear this office never got untidy or dusty. Must be a School For Good thing she thought. 

"I can get my own," Dovey replied with no emotion, she didn't even loom up from the work she was doing. 

"I know that I just thought I'd- Never mind. How have been today? Have you gone to your lessons or stayed up here all day?" Lesso asked while placing the tray, with Dovey's lunch on it, onto the coffee table. "You know the school master is tracking how much your not attending your own lessons. Look I'm just trying to help you, I'm trying to help you not-," 

"What do you want, Lesso? Your disturbing me," Dovey said after slamming her fists upon the tablet and looking at Lady Lesso with an annoyed expression plastered onto her face. 

"I just wanted to make sure you were ok. You haven't been yourself ever since-" Lesso started before she was interrupted. 

"Well I am. I am just perfect, or was before you came in," Dovey said not altering her tone. Lesso was dumbfounded at Dovey's answer. Usually the interrupting is the other way around. 

"I- I was just trying to be nice..." Lesso hear a stifled chuckle come from Dovey's throat. She looked over to see Dovey had continued writing. She felt a sadness in her chest before picking her emotion back up to ask "Excited for the ceremony?" Dovey hummed in response and continued writing. Lesso felt a familiar knot start to invade her throat. She tried to push it down before asking. "Can I ask you something?" 

"As long as you don't start sobbing like last time," Dovey said with a disgusted look on her face. It was still buried in marking but was obvious to see. Lesso paused before answering, unsure of how to word it. She didn't know how Dovey would react if she asked again. 

"Have I done something?" She asked in a smaller voice then a mouse. She had never felt this before. The feeling of not wanting to upset someone over something so little. The feeling of having to choose her words carefully because it may cause someone to... to act out of character. As she sunk into her chair she realised she had actually felt like this before. A long time ago with... with... someone. She could usually stand up to Dovey but something stopped her. 

"Will you stop asking me that?" Dovey boomed while looking over to Lesso, stood to the right of her desk. She looked not angry just irritated, like Lesso was a problem and a nuisance to get rid of. 

"Don't brush off the question again because I clearly have done something. You don't even talk to me anymore," Lesso advanced towards Dovey's desk quickly and grabbed her hand "and I really love yo-" 

It was then Lesso was cut off with not words but a laugh. Not an awkward one or a sympathetic one. It was a genuine laugh, a laugh that showed what Lesso just said was funny to her. She laughed and doubled over in laugh while sat in her chair. Lesso just looked at Dovey confused as Dovey caught her breath from laughing so much. Dovey pushed Lesso's hand off of hers like it was disgusting then chuckled out in a sarcastic tone "Yes, Yes! Of course you love me," Lesso stared at her speechless as Dovey stood up and said in a growing cold tone "Remind me of how an Ever and a Never can be together again?" 

"But... but you said-" 

"Did I?" 

There was a silence in the room after that. Silence that was so loud it was unbearable. Even for Lesso. The tension in the air was thicker then blood. The silence so loud you would hear a pin drop. They stared at each other whether it was rage, confusion or sadness.  It could even had been a combination of all three, or at least Lesso's was. It felt as if someone had stabbed her with a poisoned dagger and the acidic poison was eating away at her skin. It wasn't long before Lesso's faced turned sour and the sadness she felt was masked with her coldness. 

"Well then, now that's that," She straightened out her outfit and moved away from Dovey. She ended up leaning on one of the chairs in front of Dovey's desk. "You need to come to the ceremony. Sadly you can't just miss this like your classes," 

"But I have so much-"

"And I don't care how much work you have to do," Lesso stated coldly as Dovey once did. "You need to come down. I can not and will not do your work for you. Unless you want your precious Evers to be doomed with an evil finger glow," 

"Fine, I'll do it. Are you done, now?" 

"Quite," Lesso spat out before turning quickly to storm out of the room. She dramatically exited before slamming the door behind her. Lesso got to the stairs and held onto the railing for dear life before processing what just happened. Tears dropped down her face but she refused to let her mask drop. She wiped the stray tears off of her face and started to pull herself back together while she walked down the stairs. When she got to the corridors they were empty. She roamed the empty corridors of the school for good before bumping into an Ever. Alyssa was it. The mad hatters daughter in a long pale blue stripped gown. 

Lesso's finger glowed a bright purple as she started to conjure up a real life nightmare the girl to endure. It was then a copy of the queen of hearts stood in front of her. The girl stared up at the corpse with flaming purple eyes. her face dropped as the Queen started to shout "Off with her head," over and over. Yet the kicker was when Lesso flicked her finger and the queen's head slid off of her body and continued to shout while it was on the ground. It was then the body started to run at the poor girl as she screamed for help. 

It was then the beautification teacher Professor Anemone showed up to see what all the commotion was about. "Lady Lesso. Are you really seeping that low by terrorising students?" 

"Weak thing anyway. I could have summoned a wasp and she would have had the same reaction," Lesso smirked at Anemone who rolled her eyes. After the practically silent encounter Lesso finally said "I'll let the princes get their practice in so I'll leave that chasing her," You could still hear the terrified girls screams echoing the school. Lesso smiled and turned for the huge wooden main doors which were wide open. Her right hand panned out to her side covering the doors in her purple magic before she flung it back down again, making the massive wooden doors slam behind her.