24: Alphabetical Maddness

It wasn't long before Ana made it to Yuba's class. They all waited for her outside the forest. She arrived just before the last group of Evers. They all looked equally happy as the Nevers at their rankings. The mid October air blew as it chilled the students to shiver in their cloaks and coats. Some princes put on their leather gloves and the princesses shielded their hands with useless lace gloves. The Nevers stood with no coats, cloaks or gloves.

Ana looked out to the woods they were about to enter. A ghastly thing of which she feared before but there was a feeling in her stomach that changed that. Perhaps it was the magic, maybe it was the tiredness seeping in making her too unbothered to care, or perhaps it was something different. Ana couldn't help but think what it could be. Before she started listening to Yuba's introduction speech she felt the heaviness of someone's gaze upon her back. She looked back to see the students were all focused on the professor. She looked around even to the towers and the grounds behind them. It was then she spotted her. In the highest tower of the school for good. She stared down at her with a dead expression on her face.

"Hey where have you been?" Jay asked making Ana turn around to face him "You keep disappearing, what are you up to?"

"You should be listening," Ana shot back with a coldness to her voice.

"Maybe you should do the same. Instead of daydreaming about your imaginary princess life in the school for good," He said before moving closer to Chris, leaving Ana in the middle stood alone.

"-October so it will be a different atmosphere to usual. Due to the fact the protective layer of the force field between worlds is the thinnest," Yuba finished before he turned to Ana "I hope you all listened and paid attention. If not it's your life at risk," There was a long paused where every student exchanged looks "Now! Let's get moving,"

The class moved through the forest towards their usual spot of which was a clearing between the trees. When they got there Ana noticed the leaves turning orange and brown, the grass was not as green and the air remained a chilled breeze of which hit the students like knives. The chill was nowhere near as bad as winter but out in the elements was so much worse than outside the forest. Maybe it was the cruel nature of the forest, making itself inhabitable, yet they would never know. The Blue Forest was meant to simulate the Endless Woods anyway and its cruel nature, it was a villain in any story. As the students prepared for their journeys in the Endless Woods they needed to learn how to defeat its Good or evil your biggest enemy, was mother nature herself.

As the group approached the clearing ahead Yuba the gnome started to talk again "So today we"ll be  dueling. By we I mean you. Evers will combat with Nevers to show the progression of you abilities,"

"How are we meant to fight them if they have the advantage?" Rudy asked adjusting his thick brown hair as the wind blew it out of place with his left hand. The other grasped his sword for dear life. Like any of the Never's could spring out of control at any minute. His cocky behaviour had died down at the thought of fighting students stronger than him, as the Evers didn't have access to magic till the ceremony of magic.

"Most of you in this group have some form of magic. Including Evers, even then you have a sword do you not?" Yuba replied

"Yes but-"

"Great then shut up. As I was saying, you will all face each other. As you all know killing your opponent is forbidden, any talk or do of this and there will be severe consequences," Yuba explained "Now I have decided to go by Alphabet to make picking duels easier. Once you are told your partner you will go to the middle of the clearing and stand back to back. When I say you will walk 20 paces away from each other. Once doing so I will shout for the fight to begin and you may do what you wish to create damage to your opponent. You may move from your position and as close to or as far away from you opponent as you wish,"