chapter 3

josephine lee

After the eventful day I had yesterday I decided to try to get some work done at a chill coffee shop downtown instead of going into the studio today. By studio, I mean the one I made in my house, I haven't been in a real studio in a long time. The reason for that is because I had a rough start in the music industry.

 My producer was abusing me for a long time and no one believed me until I caught some of it on camera. It's crazy how stuff like that happens, everyone respects this producer guy and puts him up on a pedestal to the point that no one could ever believe that he would do such a thing. But he's why I started producing my own music, I never want to be put in that position ever again. 

The aftermath of the situation turned into the worst year of my life. I was fighting tooth and nail to not become some blacklisted artist for speaking up, and luckily I won that war. It took almost everything from me but I won. The journey was humiliating and dehumanizing but because of it, a few other artists came forward with their stories too. I'm lucky to have caught onto his tactics early on because it could've been worse. 

But what happened, happened and I can't change that. 

Whenever my little brother, Theo decided he wanted to get into this industry as well I helped him search for a good person who wanted the best for him. Luckily, he got that. His band is still pretty "underground" as some people put it, but it's good music. I'm crossing my fingers for the day he makes it big, he deserves it. 

What I deserve is a day of rest but these emails won't read themselves. I click on the most recent one and bite my lip to hold back a gasp. 

Niall Horan: Hey Josephine, I've heard a few of your drum beats and I was hoping I could interest you in adding some in my newest song. It's still under wraps but I'll send you a demo and you can decide if this is a project you'd like to join. All the best, Niall. 

I quickly type up a response accepting this incredible offer, hitting the backspace more than the actual letters because of how eager I sound. But I can't help it considering how One Direction was the key to my heart growing up. I don't even know how many concerts I dragged my Dad to when I was a teenager. 

Josephine Lee: Hey Niall, wow this is huge! I'd love to, just send me a demo of your new song and I'll see what I can come up with. I look forward to working with you. All the love, Josephine. 

I bury my face in my hands to hide the cheesiest smile known to man. I read and reread his email, knowing he typed it out and wanted me on his new song. Well, my drums, but they're still mine! I wipe the smile off my face and take a sip of my much-needed iced coffee. I look away from my computer at what feels like the worst timing in the world. 

#86 from last night's game just placed an order and is leaning against the wall waiting for his name to be called. I stare into the side of his head, unable to look away but knowing very well I need to. My beet-red face looks away from him and down at my keyboard. Come on emails! Distract me from thinking pure nonsense. 

They call his name out and he takes it, looking for an available seat in the seating area. There are loads of open seats but out of all of them, he takes the table in front of mine. I quickly turn on a song to play through my AirPods to distract myself. If I act like I'm not here maybe he'll go along with it. I listen to 'Songbird' by Fleetwood Mac, which was the song that inspired me to pursue music. 

I open another email, closing my eyes as I think of a response. I rest my head against the wall behind me and slowly open my eyes when the words come to me, but when I look directly in front of me a pair of beautiful blue eyes are staring at me. I look away as if this sort of interaction is indifferent to me and you'd think because I caught him he'd look away but he holds his gaze.