chapter 29

jack hughes 

I lay across my couch, scrolling through my feed when around noon I got a knock at my door. On the way to the door, I wonder who could be there because as far as I know, I'm not expecting anyone or anything. No packages and no visits, that I remember.  I open my door and see him standing there with bright eyes as he takes me in. 

"Hey man!" Theo says, greeting me with a tight hug. I hug him back, wrapping one of my arms around his shoulders before moving to the side to let him into my home. He walks inside, turning his head as he looks around my apartment. "What are you doing here?" I laugh, crossing my arms over my chest and leaning against the wall. 

Theo shrugs his shoulders, putting his hands in his pockets and pursing his lips. "I don't know, just wanted to hang." he says, and the way he says it reminds me a lot of Luke. Very little brother-y and a very valid reason to show up at my house. I nod and look over my kitchen counter before finding my keys splayed out on the table. 

I pick them up and say, "Alright, let's go grab some lunch." I watch his face light up before he can turn to open the door to walk out. I lock my door and head down to the garage to get into my car. I play my favorite playlist like always and head to a restaurant that's close by. An Inhaler song comes on which puts a smile on his face. It grows when he notices that I know the lyrics. 

"You know I know these guys, so if you wanted to come to a show I could pull some strings." He says in a joking manner similar to his sisters. I tell him that I'm very interested in that and ask more about his band while I park and turn off my car. He tells me about how he met his bandmates as he skims the menu. 

I nod along to the new information, going onto their Instagram account to put names to their faces while Theo tells me stories about them. He tells me about how when they were away playing a small gig they went to Target and Bobby tried on a ridiculous outfit. Theo laughed so hard that he had to leave to regain his composure but when he came back Bobby was crawling under the door to change into his regular clothes. 

He took some time to tell me the story because the mere thought of it made him laugh too much but once we ordered he got over it. The waitress drops off our drinks with a smile and leaves us in a comfortable silence. I break it by asking him what's on his mind, wanting to know if there's any true reason for him visiting me unannounced. 

I don't want it to come off as rude because I genuinely like spending time with him but I feel like there's a reason he's here. "You still like my sister?" He asks and the question itself makes me laugh because I thought I was very openly obsessed with his sister. "Yes, I am still very fond of her." I answer his question.

"Good, good. I just worry because well she's her. I want to make sure she's treating you right and making sure you're alright with you know her lifestyle." He says and it warms my heart that he's really looking out for me. He goes into more depth about what he means when he says 'she's her' but everything he's telling me is stuff I already know and like about her. 

 Even what she considers negative about herself is something that contributes to her and her personality. I don't care that she's flighty, I'm very stable and maybe having someone who is grounded will help her not want to leave when things get comfortable. "I'm very happy with her Theo like she couldn't try to scare me away." I tell him once our waitress leaves our food at our table. 

He nods his head with a smile, cutting into his food before asking me about what else I have to do today. "I have a game and now your sister and I are going to grab some food after the game." I tell him with a smile, watching him cover his mouth while he laughs. After posting Theo on my spam account Josie quickly texted me asking to make plans because this wasn't fair.