chapter 10

josephine lee

I wake up to a knock on my door, a few actually. I let out a low groan which my little brother interprets as "Come in," He storms in, swinging the door open and jumping on my bed with an unhappy face. He squints his eyes shut, blocking out the morning light shining directly over my bed. "Why would you put a window there, Josephine?" he grumbles. 

"Mmm, I didn't build this house." I say back, rubbing my eyes as he burrows himself under my top blanket and pillow. We stay put for a bit longer, dozing off into another round of sleep before my alarm goes off. I pick my phone up to see why I'm waking up at this time and see that I named this alarm, "Get up and go on a run." 

Oh yes. I forgot I told myself to do that. I roll out of bed, heading to the restroom to change into something good for a run. I throw my hair up into a ponytail and start brushing my teeth when I hear Theo groaning again. I'm not sure if he's being dramatic but my hangovers have never felt as bad as he's complaining. 

My phone vibrates on the counter as I spit out my toothpaste and let it run down the drain. I pick my phone up and scrunch my face up in confusion. The first message leaves me wondering who it is but once the second message rolls in I know exactly who it is. 

(xxx)-xxx-xxx good morning
don't block me

josephine i should block you. 
did theo give you my number? 

(xxx)-xxx-xxx yes, don't block him either.

josephine ok, what do you want?

jack to see how you're doing

josephine i'm doing just fine, about to go on a run.

I ignore the next message he sends and calmly walk out of the bathroom. Theo is sitting on my bed, with his elbows on his thighs and his head in his hands. I grab the pillow that's closest to me and chuck it at his head. "Josie, what the fuck!" he says, holding his head with a tighter grip than before. "Why did you give Jack my number?" I ask as a grin pulls up on his face. 

"Uhh, because he asked." He says like it'd obvious, showing me the messages. He goes on his second rant in twenty-four hours about him but this time I don't stick around to listen. I walk out of my bedroom, throwing my headphones on and shuffling a playlist Spotify has with all the newly released music. 

I start jogging down my street when the opening notes of a song I recognize come on. I pull my phone out checking the song to see my newest song playing. Oh fuck, that was today! I scroll down to all the missed messages from my manager and the members of Muna. 

marjorie josie! Silk Chiffon is out, Muna posted!
Post something when you're up!
JOSIE!

katie jo marjorie is blowing up our phones to tell you to post

jo I POSTED???

naomi then the other jo, josette.

josie I AM SO SO SORRY! I'LL POST ASAPP

How did I forget? Okay well, I know why. And because I seem to be the only person supporting my rights and wrongs I will grant myself some lenience. I post a picture of Josette and me when we sang Silk Chiffon for the first time. Once that's all done, I continue my run. I keep a steady pace as I leave my neighborhood and run towards the city side of town.