chapter 27

josephine lee

I never knew how true the phrase "distance makes the heart grow fonder" was but since I've been back in New Jersey, Jack has been glued to my hip. Anywhere I go he wants to go, anywhere he goes he wants me to join him. If we weren't trying to keep our relationship quiet there wouldn't be an issue, but unfortunately for him, we have to move in silence. 

I've gone to a few games at Prudential and have been seen leaving after a game. Since there are always a few men with cameras waiting to take a picture of me leaving with someone I've unfortunately ruined one of the best things I had. I've always felt welcomed by the hockey community since I grew up around it. I was always at games and since Dad retired I've continued to show my love for the franchise. 

But since the "confirmed" rumors of Jack dating an influencer but also being seen with me at a bar with Jack, Nico, and Jesper, things have only gotten worse. Apparently, the girl Olivia is friends with one of the wives and that was enough confirmation for the public. So along with this new and very true information, Brendan has dropped yet another new and so very true single. 

More about me being the worst person alive. The facts. 

But what's horrible for everyone involved or not involved is that this is the happiest I've been in a long time and My life is mine. All mine and I get to decide what I want to do. And what I want to do today is hang out with my boyfriend before I go to his game and cheer him on. 

Maybe if he's up for it I can properly introduce him as my boyfriend to my dad. I'll ask when he gets here. Until then I rush around my kitchen looking for my oven mitts to pull the cookies I made him out of the oven. I give up on the mitts and grab a random towel before opening the oven. I feel the gust of warm air hit me in the face causing me to look away. 

Once I'm over the initial warmth I grab the tray and pull them out. I put the tray on the stove and dropped the towel with it. "Damn, that's hot." I wince, shaking my hand. Despite not needing them anymore I look for the mitts just for future reference and find them in the pantry with a note from Theo. 'Didn't know where these went.'

I laugh at the note, crumbling it up and tossing it out before putting the mitts where they belong. After closing the drawer they go in I hear a knock at the door. I perk up at the sound of my boyfriend at the door and run over in my socks, sliding across the floor. 

The minute I open the door I'm instantly greeted with "I'm dating an influencer, have you heard?" Jack teases, making his way inside. I roll my eyes at how he's staying up to date with all of the news. I shove his shoulder but he doesn't budge, pulling me in by my hips, letting his hands travel up just to pull my arms around his neck. 

With my arms around him, he leans in to peck my lips. "Have I told you how much I like being your boyfriend?" he says making me laugh. I nod against him, rubbing my nose against his in the process. He tells me all the time. He never gives me an opportunity to forget. He leans closer to rest his head on my shoulder. 

I pull my arms down and instead wrap my arms around his waist. I reach up and start rubbing his back letting him take his time in our hug. He takes a while to let go, taking deep breaths throughout our hug. When he pulls back I cup the side of his face, "You okay?" I ask, rubbing my thumb against his stubble. 

He nods his head, stretching his arms above his head. "Yeah, I'm just tired." he says with a soft smile but I know what he means. He's not just physically tired I can tell something else is weighing on him. I try helping by asking, "Can I show you something?" he perks up and nods his head, following me into my music room.

I watch him look at all of my instruments in awe before I pick out my guitar which has the star strap he gifted me attached to it. I sit on the floor, looking up at him while I wait for him to sit with me. He sits in front of me with his legs stretched out and I sit with my legs crossed, my guitar in my lap.