chapter 12

jack hughes 

When I woke up today I felt a heavy feeling on my chest. I open my eyes to look around and make sure I'm alone, and I am. As I sit up in my bed and grab my phone to check the time I realize this heavy feeling is purely emotional. Today is no ordinary day, today is Josephine's birthday. 

Today she turns twenty-one and I was invited to her birthday party. But despite the information I just presented I will not be in attendance. The reason for that is because I don't think she likes me. I've heard all my friends say it but I think now is the time that I'll accept it. I believe that the girl who unknowingly stole my heart doesn't feel the same way I do. 

I'm not saying I'm in love with her. I'm not, but as I told her I have a crush on her and I want to explore my crush in hopes she's just hiding how she feels from the both of us. I think Josephine and I could be something electric. If only she'd let go for a little bit to let it happen. 

I get ready for practice, running around the house to get my shit in order before leaving. I pack everything in the car and take off. Normally I'd connect my phone to the aux cord but I don't feel in the mood to pick out a playlist today so I switch to the radio. 'I Couldn't Be More in Love' by The 1975 comes on, and I mumble the lyrics out, patting my thumbs against the steering wheel to the beat. 

Once the song is over I turn the volume down by a little bit while the radio hosts talk. "Good Morning Newark, New Jersey I'm Scarlett Jones and today is a very special day, wouldn't you say Rob?" She asks her co-host. He hums into the mic, while Scarlett continues. "Today our very own Josephine Lee turns twenty-one, so what better way to honor that than play her song '21' Happy birthday Josephine!" she says, making my lips pull up into a smile. 

I turn the song up as loud so I can as I sing along with her. "I missed your twenty-first birthday." I sing, feeling the heaviness on my heart again from relating to the first lyric. Damn it, I really miss her. I pull my phone out, pulling her contact up to send her a picture of the song on the radio.  

jack 

Your song is on the radio:) Happy Birthday ❤️

I watch the text message send then turn my phone off to enjoy the rest of the song. Well as much as I can. The day just started and I know it's going to be hell. The most I can do is try to distract myself 

she doesn't respond. 

Yeah, I think this is the end of what could've been.

-

 I've had a long day of moping and I can't just sit here all night, I have to get up and do something. As I lace my shoes up and put my jacket on I decide on going to grab some Chinese food. That always helps. I put my hoodie on and make my way a few blocks down to order my comfort food.