chapter 4

josephine lee

jackhughes dmed you

hey how are you? you coming to the game tonight?

Ignore. Ignore. Ignore. 

Just like I have been doing for the past two weeks. I don't want him around, I don't want him getting to know me, and I don't want him wondering how I'm doing. I don't have the emotional capacity to have a boyfriend or even a boy friend. I just want to be alone. And I can't and won't do that if I have a cute hockey player texting me. I can only be so strong.

So I toss my phone away from where I'm sitting on my couch and unpause the New Girl episode I was watching. I pull my blanket up, letting it rest under my chin. I feel my phone buzz and try avoiding it just like all my other responsibilities. But you know the feeling of getting a notification and thinking you can just let it go but then the idea of letting it go turns into panic and now you're itching to figure out what the message says? 

That's me. I stare at my phone from where it's at and scoff, kicking the blanket off to check the message. My phone goes off again, slightly scaring me. It must be urgent if someone is blowing me up. I read the messages with an uneasy feeling stirring in my stomach. 

Oh God, this is urgent!

It's Halloween and Mere is trying to plan a night out with me. I have been so busy with touring and my breakup that I completely lost track of how close Halloween was and Halloween is my favorite holiday. 

mere you! me! tonight! bar hopping! 
costume: Magic Mike💰 

me so fucking sold, you have no idea. 

mere have you texted you know who back

me NO MA'AM 
it's stay tame autumn
yk what isn't STA? boys named jack hughes
that want me to have a nontame autumn 

mere stop talking about him like he's evil |
he just thinks you're purdyyy and wants
to get to know you

me yeah aka NOT TAME

mere wtv, i'll be over in a few hours so we can share an uber

-

"Jos, Uber is here!" Mere yells as I dab on some red lipstick to complete my look. I take one final look at my backward cap and sheer white tank top before locking the front door and piling into the back of our Uber. Mere adjusts my loose tie, making it looser while I tie the laces on my high tops. 

Our ride was pretty quiet since we didn't want to find ourselves in an uncomfortable situation with our older male driver but once we're out we're back to our normal and loud selves. My jeans hang low on my waist, showing off the Calvin Klein band of my underwear. I hear a few whistles coming from across the street but I've kind of used to it by now. 

Mere drags me into the first bar in her line of vision, the bouncer lets us in based on our outfits alone. We hit the bar first lining up a round of shots before moving to the dance floor full of amazing costumes. 'Take It Off' by Ke$ha is booming through the speakers as a few guys start dancing around Mere and me. We shoot each other a quick look before subtly moving away from them and towards our next drink. 

On our way to the bar, I feel a light hold on my wrist. I look behind me to see a few girls with big smiles on their faces. "Hi! Oh my gosh, I am a big fan." The one touching me says. I smile brightly at them, encouraging them to move closer to me. We talk for a bit at the bar before taking a picture and buying them a round of tequila. As they walk away I hear one of them yell, "Oh my God, why did we just take a shot with Meredith and Josie?" Making me chuckle.