chapter 31

josephine lee

With my body perfectly snuggled under mountains of blankets I feel Jack's hand push my hair down and out of my face before resting his chin on top of my head again. He takes a deep breath, tightening his hold on me. "What are your plans tomorrow?" he finally asks, pressing his lips to my temple and keeping them there until I respond. 

I pull our blankets closer to us and think about what I have going on tomorrow, trying to keep myself as warm as possible as the late-night New Jersey chill lingers around us. "My Uncle Ronnie is in town tomorrow, so I'm going to brunch with him, Theo, and my dad for a bit but after that I'm free. Why?" I ask, playing with his fingers underneath all the blankets.

He nods, chuckling against my head after I clarify which Ronnie I'm talking about. I forget that he looked up to these guys growing up and to me, they're my family members. "Alright well I leave tomorrow night for the road trip and I was hoping we could spend some time together." He says, squeezing my hip to elicit a response. 

There's no question about wanting to hang out with him I just forgot he was leaving. "Yeah, we can definitely do something. I forgot you were leaving." I admit, crawling on top of him and resting my ear against his chest to listen to his heartbeat. He pulls the blankets over my shoulder, wrapping his arms around my waist. 

He sighs reassuring me that he doesn't want to leave but unfortunately has to. I nod against his body feeling my nose start to turn red but refusing to leave the trampoline to go back inside. I let Jack's heartbeat lull me to sleep without another care and thought in the world. His fingers rub soothing circles on my back only stopping once he falls asleep beneath me. 

We sleep through the night, feeling the sun beam down on us making us shove a few of the blankets off of our body not allowing the heat to pull us away from one another. What actually disrupts our peaceful morning is my brother banging on my front door, screaming my name, and "Please I left my key!" He shouts, pounding on my front door. "Fuck!" I groan, rolling away from Jack to open the door for my younger brother.

I sleepily jump off of the trampoline, rubbing my eyes to wake myself up bumping into the wall in the process of trying to get to the front door. I open the door listening to my brother wince at the sight of me, jerking his head back as he gets a good look at me. "Brunch is in 45 minutes go get ready." he orders, reminding me of the brunch plans that I agreed to. 

I snap my fingers once his words register in my brain, thanking him for waking me up since I must've left my phone inside. Jack starts folding the blankets we used last night while I move toward the restroom to look presentable and not like I overslept. I throw my hair up into a clip and wash my face with very cold water to reduce my morning puffiness. 

Once I turn the water off I hear Jack start talking to my brother, dumping the blankets on top of my bed before bringing me ice cubes in a cup. I thank him with a kiss on his cheek and start running the cold cube over my face until my face looks normal again. I wash my face again with some cleanser, drying it before putting serum and moisturizer on my face down to my neck. 

While I brush some makeup over my face I ask Jack to help pick out an outfit for me. He looks through my closet picking out a simple outfit that is perfect for brunch. I change into it after setting my makeup and run a comb through my hair, pulling the top half back and tying it into a small ponytail. 

After pulling my face framing pieces out I turn to Jack to ask if I look alive. "Better than that." he grins, patting my butt. My hands start to make their way up his chest until Theo yells at me to hurry up from his spot in the living room. Before I leave the room my hands drop down to hold his while I say, "You can stay if you want or you can come back later." He nods, pressing one more kiss to my lips before "pissing" off Theo.