chapter 22

josephine lee

On a normal day, I'd probably get up a little later in the day due to my late nights but today for some reason I woke up at 7:00 am sharp. I turned around in Jack's arms to take a peek at the alarm clock and was stunned at the fact that I am able to wake up before noon. I try closing my eyes again to get some more sleep but to my surprise, I'm fully awake and am ready to start my day. 

If I get up now I'll have enough time to make Jack and his brothers some breakfast before morning skate so without moving too fast I pick up his arm from around my waist and peel him off of me. But I should've known any movement I made in an attempt to escape his death grip of a cuddle would wake him up. "Where are you going?" He asks in a sleepy mumble, rubbing his eyes. "I'm just going to make some breakfast for you guys before you go." I tell him, pushing his hair out of his face. 

He hums at my response, tilting his head up for a kiss. I put my knee on the mattress, bending down to peck his lips then press a few down his freckled back. He sleepily chuckles at the feeling, tucking his face back into his pillow. I throw the clothes I had on yesterday and tiptoe to the bathroom trying to make the most of my slept-in makeup. 

I quietly close Jack's bedroom door and make my way to the kitchen. I look through his pantry looking for the ingredients for some pancakes. Luckily Jack has everything, down to both kinds of chocolate chips. I look through my notes app for the recipe for my Dad's pancakes and quadruple it since I'm not sure how much they'll eat and I want to make sure they're full. 

I whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar before melting some butter and adding it in along with some eggs and milk. Once it's all mixed together I sprinkle in some cinnamon and add in some vanilla extract. I pull out a large plate to put all the pancakes on and slap a small amount of butter onto the pan, watching it melt and bubble. 

Once the butter is fully melted I pour some batter into the pan adding white chocolate chips and milk chocolate chips on top. I wait for the batter to bubble before sliding the spatula under the pancake and flipping it. The pancake is beautiful, golden brown, and smells like my entire childhood. When I know the bottom is fully cooked I move the pancake onto the empty plate and repeat the process multiple times. 

As one of the pancakes cooks on a low heat I move to the refrigerator, pull out some orange juice, and start making some coffee. I'm grabbing a few mugs from one of Jack's cabinets when I hear one of the doors open. I turn my head to see Quinn, rubbing his eyes with the back of his hands like a child. I chuckle at the sight, smiling at him over my shoulder. "Morning, I made some pancakes." I tell him as he takes one of the mugs and pours some coffee into it. 

"Good morning," his deep morning voice rings through the kitchen, shocking us both. I flip another pancake onto the stack I've created, handing him a plate so he can start eating. He thanks me, taking the plate from my hands, and eyeing the stack of pancakes. "I only made chocolate chip pancakes but if you want something else I can make it." I offer, watching him take four from the stack, claiming these are his favorite kind. 

He drowns his stack of pancakes with some syrup, using his fork to cut into the pancakes. He groans into the fork, dropping his head to the counter when another door opens. This time it's Luke and he's in full head-to-toe UMich merchandise. From his hoodie to his socks. "Morning Lee." He groans like he regrets getting up this early. He pulls me into a quick side hug before running over to mess with his older brother. 

"Morning Huggy, game day! Game day!" he says loudly, shaking his brother's shoulders before his eyes land on the plate in front of Quinn. He looks at me, the pan, the stack of pancakes beside me, and back at Quinn. "Are those?" Luke asks, his eyes starting to gloss over as Quinn nods enthusiastically.