chapter 6

jack hughes 

Our game against the Sabres just ended, it was a pretty good game considering we won, but still no Josephine. I haven't talked to her since I saw her in person which was a week ago, and it's killing me. What does a guy have to do for this girl's attention?

It's been a while since I've been on the dating scene, I had a girlfriend for about seven months before we split amicably and since then I haven't been on an active search for a new one. Until I saw Josephine. I'd back off if her friend didn't practically beg me to keep it up. "She just got out of a really bad relationship, hold on." she slurred, holding onto my bicep for stability. 

I haven't felt this way in what feels like forever so now the feeling has turned into a slight obsession. I like feeling the butterflies that erupted in my stomach when I walked into that restaurant and saw her sitting there. I like it when she looks at me, even if the look is full of displeasure. She likes arguing with me, and hell I'd piss her off all day if it meant she was speaking to me. 

I want to talk to her and just her. 

"Jack, wanna go out? Nico is going home." Dawson asks as I change into my regular clothes. I think it over in my head knowing when Dawson asks to go out it means to pick up girls. I give him a sorry look about to give him a sorry excuse as to why I can't go out but before I have the chance to he shoots me a disapproving glare. 

"You gotta get out there man. She does not want you." Dawson says loudly, patting me on the shoulder. "Who doesn't want you?" John asks, throwing his beanie on over his wet hair. Okay, Dawson, you're correct but one quiet down, and two you couldn't have let me down easy? "Nobody." I side-eye Dawson, watching him raise his hands up in surrender. 

John shrugs not caring enough to sit here and dissect what Dawson meant. I grab my things, ready to leave the facility but Dawson steers me away from my car. "Let's go out." He says, leading me to his car and opening the passenger side. I really have no other choice. I sigh softly, throwing my things in the backseat as I sit down. 

Well since I'm here I ask for the aux cord, Dawson looks around for it handing it to me. "Yeah, man go ahead." I thanked him, connecting it to my phone. I unlock my phone, heading to my most recent playlist. I scroll through all the songs before finding the one I'm looking for. 'Whiskey Glasses' by Morgan Wallen starts playing. 

I turn away from Dawson, looking out the window as he groans. "No, no. Jack please." he begs me to turn off one of the only songs I've been listening to for the past week. I hold my phone away from him telling him that if I'm being forced to go out he will be forced to listen to my music. Even though he resisted at first he's now singing along with the music. I fight the urge to yell "I told you so." but I won't test my luck. 

Dawson parks his car outside of the bar, giving me a quick pep talk before walking inside. I nod along with each sentence, swearing I'll try to put myself back out in the dating world. We sit at the bar ordering two beers when Dawson eyes two girls from across the bar. He gently elbows me and jerks his head towards them. I look over at them, smiling before getting off my stool and following my teammate.

"Hey," The brunette says, quickly flicking her eyes over to her friends before smiling. I sit down beside her making small talk until Dawson walks over to us with his arm around Sidney's friend, Pia. "Let's head over to my penthouse and hang out, yeah?" He offers as Pia pleads with Sidney using her eyes. She looks up at me and I nod, pursing my lips.

I take the backseat letting Pia take the front seat. He hands her the aux cord, letting her blast whatever trash she calls music. At least play Taylor Swift. Dawson turns the music down and asks the girls more questions about themselves, so he doesn't look like a complete jerk when he sleeps with Pia and then never calls again.