chapter 9

josephine lee

"Theodore Grey, you have to work with me here." I quietly beg as I try to lift him out of his chair again. He slumps right back into it, babbling to Jack about how he doesn't want to leave. I look behind us to see if my Dad and his friends are distracted, when I see that their backs are turned I try lifting my brother again. He rests all his weight on me making it nearly impossible for me to pick him up. 

"Here, I'll help you." Jack says, throwing Theo's arm over his shoulder. I stand behind them to cover my brother's hunched back, probably readying himself to rest all of his weight on Jack. I hold my hands out, ready to keep Theo up because when Jack stands I expect Theo to act the same way he was with me but instead, he works with the hockey player and stands up. 

He starts walking towards the door, stumbling over his own two feet but still better than when I was trying to get him out of his chair. Jack pushes the door open, laughing at whatever Theo is saying to him. I unlock the car, opening the passenger side door for the two boys. Theo flops in, getting comfortable into his seat while letting Jack buckle him in. I close the door on my brother before moving to the other side of my car. 

Jack follows, allowing me to turn the car on before leaning up against the side of my door to talk to him. I pull out a pack of cigarettes, offering one to him. He looks down at them then plucks one out of the box and holds it between his lips. I light him up with my red lighter before lighting my cigarette. I tuck the lighter into the side of my dress.

"So what's going to happen after tonight?" Jack asks, inhaling some smoke into his mouth. I think the question over while the smoke from my cigarette travels to the back of my throat. Questions like this really irritate me because it makes me feel like there is always someone expecting something from me. 

I take a long drag from my cigarette, blowing the smoke out through the side of my mouth. "I have no idea." I say honestly, wrapping a protective arm around myself. "Okay, well, as stupid as it sounds, you know I have a crush on you." I nod my head with a chuckle. He takes a step closer to me, "And I want you to like me back. Eventually." he says, dropping his cigarette to the ground and stepping on it with the tip of his shoe. 

"Jack, I am still not emotionally available. What you got today is as much as I can give you if I'm being completely transparent." I say, looking at my shoes instead of at him. I'm embarrassed that I haven't gotten over the mess Brendan left me with, I'm embarrassed that I can't give love the way I used to pour it out to the wrong man. 

The pretty boy in front of me nods his head, lifting my face by my chin. "That's okay, I don't expect anything from you Josephine." He says softly, this whole interaction is soft so I break away from it. I look away, putting my cigarette out. "Good," I say, getting into my car, and thanking him for helping me with Theo. 

"Text me once you're home." He says, holding my car door. I nod my head, letting him close the door on me, and watch us drive away. His figure slowly disappears and I feel like I can finally take a breath since we left the restroom. I hear Theo sigh as loud as he possibly could, the noise forces me to take my eyes off the road. 

I shove him to figure out why the hell he's sighing like that. "Josie," he drags on. I roll my eyes knowing what he's about to say. "Jack is such a nice guy. He has pretty blue eyes and he means well." My brother vouches for him. I chuckle from the driver's seat, listening to the kind words leaving Theo's mouth. If only I cared. 

"Geez, if you love him so much why don't you take him off my hands." I joke, but you'd think I just threatened to smash his guitar by the look on his face. "Don't even joke, because at least I won't hurt him." He crosses his arms over his chest but due to the material of his suit, they slide down to his stomach.