chapter 28

josephine lee 

A few days ago I left my home in New Jersey to come up to Long Pond with Aaron to get a few of my ideas out of my journal. I've had a general idea of what I want for my songs but since this ep strays far away from my usual kind of music I needed some extra guidance to make these songs good. 

After Jack told me my songs were a bit on the sadder side I thought well I'll show him that I can make a few cheerful songs. Songs that put a bit of pep into your step. Despite how much I love the lyrics I wrote and how fun it was to create a few songs that were completely out of my comfort zone I miss my introverted songs that make you want to curl up into a ball.

So in between working on my fun songs I'll stop and work on songs for my album which will be back to normal. So far I have 'Feather' and 'The Blue' down to a T and after polishing off the song that will be on my album I sent a recording of it to Jack. After listening he FaceTimed me with a love-sick look on his face. 

"I think I liked you two more when she hated you." John says making me laugh. I didn't know he had company. Jack turns the phone to the side to show Dawson, John, and Curtis. I wave at them, walking out of the studio after turning the phone towards Aaron who was busy. He asks what else I've been working on with everyone listening and I tell him and his friends more about my EP. 

He smiles down at the phone and asks about 'Nonsense' which makes me roll my eyes. "No, it's not finished I need to add a few more lyrics but every time I come up with something I find something better that also rhymes." I tell him, reading the last few lyrics I came up with which makes everyone laugh. 

"What if you changed the ending depending on where you're at? You can use up all of your rhymes." Jack says, making me think for a second. He takes back what he says but I assure him that I am just thinking about it. I think over all the lyrics I have written on my phone that could be substituted for other lyrics and tell him I like his idea. 

The boys congratulate Jack on having a good idea, claiming that not a thought goes through his head but I promise everyone that this is just one of his many great ideas. "So I might come home tonight, but it won't be until later." I tell him in case he wants to do something tomorrow morning. His eyebrows shoot up with excitement and everyone calls him out on it. 

"Worry about where Nico is before you three start teasing me for being excited." Jack tells them off, reminding them that they have suspicions of Nico having a secret girlfriend. The difference between me and Nico's potential girlfriend is the boys we're with. Jack was telling everyone on his team about me and Nico is fairly quiet and claims he's just been busy. 

Everyone gets quiet while they text Nico asking him to hang out while Jack focuses back on me. "I have a key under my doormat if you want to sleep over, depending on what time you get home." He says with a soft smile. I nod my head telling him that I'll think about it before hanging up on him to get back inside. 

I quietly close the door behind me watching Aaron come up with a random melody that he thinks would sound good on the same album as 'The Blue'. After he saves the recording and writes down the chords in case he forgets he asks for my input on it. I sit in the chair in front of him and start flipping through the pages to see if anything speaks to me. 

I realize that I don't have a lot to work with for my next album as I look through everything and tell him to put a pin in this. He nods, straying away from the guitar to move over to the piano. "I also had this idea when you told me what you wanted for your first track on your EP." he says, playing a few notes before humming the lyrics to my song 'Emails I can't Send'. 

After listening to the piano I hear the song perfectly in my head. I sit beside him, asking which keys he used and tweak the ending just a bit. We space out the notes with my song and quite literally high-five one another when nailing it. He asks me to run through it a few times just to make sure it doesn't need anything else.