You're An Idiot!

"You're an idiot Danny".

Was the first thing that left Hinas mouth, "a bloody idiot".

"What?", Danny was shocked, he hadn't expected that from his best friend.

"Yeah, you are" the woman gave him a 'duh' kind of look.

"You're a fool if you think you're going to be able to walk away from this at the end, think about it, you're somehow connected to that man, Mark, but you're so....so......self deprecating and caught up in your own negativity that you can't see what's happening right under your nose", the woman threw her hands up in a gesture of annoyance at her best friends lack of self awareness.

"You're so selfless Danny, you can't see just what an impact you make on people, you live your life to please others, I mean every relationship you've had you've been walked all over, you've never fought back, always let people grind you down", Hina gestured wildly, throwing her hands out into dramatic poses, now pacing the room as Danny simply watched, transfixed.

"You.....you......you just live to please others, you'll do anything for anyone else, you help anyone that needs it and take nothing in return, how many times have you been there for me?, loads, every time I've had a bad break up, or........when my little sister died, you were there, sitting with me night after night, losing sleep but still going to work, then coming to sit with me all night again, wearing yourself out" she continued.

"You've saved a life before" she said quietly.

"You saved my life Danny".

At this remark Dannys eyes widened, his back stiffened and he held a look of total shock.

"I.....I...... What?".

"You did" Hina sighed heavily as she sat down.

"When Hani died, I was distraught, I kept seeing her in pain, the cancer killing her slowly, over and over in my dreams, it drove me mad, my head was so full of.......anger and hate and sorrow I didn't want to even live anymore" the woman buried her face in her hands, elbows rested on her knees.

"She was so beautiful, and so young, I felt like my heart had been ripped in half, I was truly ready to end everything, to join her, to be with her in heaven", silent tears flowed down the warm coffee skinned cheeks of his best friend, Danny seeing a side of her he'd never ever seen before.

"My parents and brother were in their own mourning, I couldn't go to them, you were the only person that I could come to, the one person I knew that wouldn't ask questions, that I'd never have to admit my dark feelings to, because you would help me no matter what without question or any kind of reason, you would just.......be there" she said quietly looking at the floor.

"You love me as me, you would care for me all the time, not just because I was miserable and feeling suicidal, you seemed to just.......know what I needed" she smiled over at him, his face now damp with tears.

"You saved my life Danny, with you there by my side, just treating me like you do everyday, laughing, smiling, holding me when I cried, holding my hair when I threw up, tucking me in bed when I was exhausted, never taking anything in return, you bought me back from the brink".

"I never knew that you felt that way, if I had I would've got you professional help" Danny sighed shakily and wiped his eyes.

"But I didn't want therapy or some anonymous person paid to listen and say the right things, doctors throwing pills at me, I really really wanted ......needed exactly what you gave me, support for no other reason than I was your friend", the woman smiled widely, reaching out taking Dannys hands in hers, "you saved my life without even knowing, and that is why you're so special Danny".