23: Spiraling Rumination

It's been a few days since we were in the forest of Ukraine. I completely lost my ability to speak. I pulled away from the others and pulled closer to Charlie.

I won't lie, I hate not speaking— not when I need to. I don't mind being mute, hell having an excuse not to talk is something I always appreciate, but now it felt restless.

I felt weak.

A little useless.

And I think the two Kortac members can tell. I look over to Roach, who is also in the know I lost my voice. It was nice being able to "talk" to someone.

'Are you feeling better?' He asks with a gentle smile.

'No, I'm agitated,' I sign. I couldn't help but count how many steps I took, my mind racing. I groan and look down, the dirt really was getting to me, mud-coated my boots— it'll take forever for me to remove the dirt.

The dirt was getting to me. I wanted a shower— I wanted to remove the dirt, grit, and sweat off my skin. My hair was getting oily, and the sensation was killing me. I wanted to wash my face— do anything to feel CLEAN!

My mood kept spiraling down the longer I ruminated. Charlie nudged me, I looked up to see him looking down at me concerned. "Get out of your head," he leans in and whispers, "we know that will end with you having a breakdown." I nodded but my mind was all-consuming.

'Roach,' I sign trying to take my mind off my own pain. 'How did you meet Ghost?'

'We did a few missions together before joint 141.' I nod and look straight again only to see König looking back at us.

"You're oddly quiet." He states a hint of a smirk in his tone.

"This is her natural state— also she lost her voice."

"Of course she did," he sneers.

"It wasn't the scream; she has selected mutism and never outgrew it." Charlie sighs and looks at the tall man with slight annoyance.

I prefer König over Ghost at least his hostility is noticeable. I have to guess with Ghost. They are both the type to pounce on your weakness either a snide comment or outright mockery. I think I rather be mocked by König, at least I know where it's coming from.

His own insecurity.

From what I can tell of both men, they are both very... patriotic. Horangi has lots of doodles, on his uniform, it's cute really. I can tell he's proud to be Korean. He didn't talk as much— well he didn't talk much to us— 141.

I want to ask him about the doodle— I'll do that once I regain my voice. I want to know what some of the characters mean. Horangi... I think I mean Tiger. Horangi... it sounds cute.

We will be meeting up with the others to case the vast lands past Moscow. There are a few bases in Russia that are linked to the ultranationalist group. There were about five different locations.

ᔕᔕᔕ≼∴≽ᔕᔕᔕ

"How have you guys been?" Soap asks.

"Gisele lost her voice."

"Again?" Gaz asks. I nod and look at him with an exhausted expression.

I hate having a sensitive nose. Why did I join the military? My nose was assaulted by B.O. I wanted a shower! I really wanted to go back to base! I sigh and look at him.

"She wants to go home." Charlie chuckles seeing the misery on my face. I flip him off.

"Not a field person?" Soap looks down with a smirk.