31. Adrian Brown

I sat at the kitchen island as I went between answering my mom's questions and scrolling through social media. My mother was cooking dinner, my little brother was apparently out with his girlfriend and my pops had ran to the store to grab some last minute items for my mother.

"Adrian, did you hear me?" My mother damn near yelled as I looked up, locking my phone in the process. I shook my head no, "my bad." She shook her head, "you kids and these damn phones. Can't hear anything around you when they in your hand." I ignored her comment, "what did you say?" I asked instead.

"I said Chelsea is coming to dinner, she called me earlier, asked if I was cooking and you know how she always say her mama can't cook for shit." She laughed out. I nodded, "oh okay." It wasn't unusual for Chelsea to come to dinner, but I did find it a little weird that she wanted to come tonight, knowing I was back and seeing how things ended the last time we were in one another's presence. She didn't say two words to me before she left, and she did it while I was asleep.

"You two doing okay?" She asked, "you care?" I questioned back, my mother liked Chelsea, but she felt like we were too wrapped up in each other at times. I remembered telling her, if you know, you know my first year in college. She rolled her eyes and waved it off and didn't speak too much on it again. She looked taken aback, "excuse me?" She placed her hand on her hip as she turned around and faced me.

"I'm just saying ma, you ain't asked about us in a minute and to be honest you've acted like you weren't a fan these past couple of years." She turned back around as she flipped her chicken over so the other side could cook. "I've always been a fan, I just feel like you two said you broke up to ensure you got the full college experience and to be sure you two were the one for each other, and neither one of you seemed to be exploring relationships with others, you two just continue to be wrapped up in one another, yet still dealing with people at your school. And I don't agree with you two bringing people into that mess and I didn't raise you like that."

"Maybe the fact that we couldn't let one another go was a clear sign to us that we're the ones for each other." I commented, playing devil's advocate in my own situation. "But yeah, I get not bringing other people into our shit, I never thought about it like that because I make it clear I'm not open for a relationship." I let out as I leaned back in my chair and crossed my arms.

She shrugged, "maybe you two are meant to be, you're just so young Adrian and I want you to be sure. But you should think about that, because just because you're saying you aren't open to a relationship doesn't change the fact that people will catch feelings and that you're playing with them."

I shook my head, "I'm not playing with them." My mother turned and looked at me seriously, "yes you are. Jaelyn spoke so highly of you, you should have saw the smile on her face when she explained why she liked you. And the only thing that was firing in my mind was Chelsea." She shook her head before she continued. " And yes, I do like Chelsea but she's also all you've really known. But if that makes you happy and you're good with it, then so be it. Which is why I've left it alone. I did get excited when I met Jaelyn though, but please let that girl go and leave her out this mess. How is she?" She questioned.

"She's good." I let out with a sigh, as I debated whether I was going to tell her what her comments put me through. I decided to mention it; we were already on it and pretty open with our discussions. "Excuse my language, but you definitely fucked that up for me." She shot me a look and I knew it was for my language, but I made it known before I even said it.

She turned around to face me completely, "come again" she demanded as she picked up the glass of wine she'd been sipping on between cooking. "Your little comment about Chelsea, she left me that night." My mother's eyebrows shot up, "I barely mentioned that girl." She waved off. I rolled my eyes, "and the little commit or leave comment." She shrugged, "that was valid."