21. Jaelyn Brentwood

I laid on Tessie's bed as I watched her clean up her room and told her about Adrian and I's weekend. "Damn, so you really know how to swim now?" She asked with a smile. I nodded, "I mean, I'm going to have to keep practicing that shit or I know for damn sure I'll lose it. But your girl swam a couple laps. I was hype as shit."

Tessie laughed, "about damn time. Adrian dope for that and I can tell your ass is falling for him," she let out as she looked at me. "Jae." I rolled my eyes knowing some shit was coming after it, "I know Tessie, I know. I know what our relationship is, and I know the chances of it becoming more won't happen, and I promised myself I would pull back when the desire for more starts to present itself." And I meant that, would it suck? Yes, but I was trying to be as guarded as possible with my heart.

Tessie shook her head, "I just don't want you to end up hurt, he clearly likes you too though to be doing all this shit. You spend more time with the nigga than you do me. Did you ask him why he's so against committing?" I shook my head no, "he always says football and school are his main focus. I don't care to push deeper. I'm not even thinking about a relationship right now Tessie, I'm cool on what we have." She looked at me like she didn't believe me as she sighed, "okay, I think football and school are a cop out though. It's more to it, I feel it." She let out as she went back to cleaning up.

I rolled my eyes, "okay Ms. Cleo." She laughed, "don't do that, I can't help it that I be feeling shit. Take that up with God not me. I just embrace it." I shook my head, "I just hate when you tell me, cause that shit always be true Tessie." She shrugged, "which means you should just listen to me more."

I waved her off, "no you take the fun out of shit for me." She laughed, "I take the fun out of shit because I be trying to save you your time and energy? Girl, whatever." I smiled, "I wonder when you'll come across a guy that gives you that good feeling." I let out changing the subject as she shrugged. "I don't, it'll happen when it happens. I'm busy enough as it is right now."

"Homecoming is coming up," she started, "I always got a good feeling about Shawn." She smiled, referring to my cousin that grew up with me, "please tell me he's coming." I rolled my eyes, "that nigga in Texas. He is not coming here for my Homecoming, that man living his best life." She kissed her teeth as she finally laid on the bed beside me. "That nigga so damn fine, those girls be on his dick on Instagram, lowkey be pissing me off." We both laughed, "he'll probably stay in Texas unless he gets drafted which still probably won't bring him here so please pick another nigga."

She sighed, "if you insist. Is your mom and grandparents coming at least?" I nodded, "yeah, I talked to papa the other day, he's excited to see me. Got in my ass for not coming by recently." Tessie smiled, "did you tell him it was cause you been seeing a man about a horse?" I pushed her shoulder, "shut the hell up, absolutely not." My grandparents from my father's side were my everything, I was closer to them than I was to my mom. The death of my father took an extra hard toll on her, she was barely present for me anymore. I understood the grieving process so I didn't hold it against her. I just tried to be there for her, how I wished she was there for me.

"And mama, how's she?" Tessie asked in a lower tone, a slight look of worry on her face because she knew the dynamics of it. I shrugged, "she's okay. I went by to see her when Adrian and I got back. She is throwing herself back into work now. So when I went by she was getting ready, and said she didn't really have time to talk."

"I'm sorry Jae." She let out, I waved her off, "it's cool, it's whatever. Off that. I hung out with Bryce again yesterday." I let out with a smile, "Ooo, do tell. How's his vibe? You still rocking with it?" Tessie smiled out, "Yeah, I like it, he's cool as hell and cute as hell. So I can rock with it, hope he's enough to keep my feelings with Adrian at bay."