Episode 34: First Commercial Film (2)

With the director’s cue, Yeon-woo jumped from his spot and landed in front of the camera. The scene will be edited to show Yeon-woo, who was previously floating in the air, landing via CGI.

The camera director, carrying a gimbal, matched his steps and backpedaled according to Yeon-woo’s movement. A close-up shot captured Yeon-woo’s face as he grinned and handed over the smartphone to an extra actor.

Following the hand motion, the camera panned and began to move behind the extra who held the smartphone. The camera seemed to navigate fluidly between the actors, as if it were following the moving smartphone.

This scene was conceptualized as amateurs shooting a film together. The filming required focus due to its complex movement patterns.

“Great, this scene will have narration, so let’s keep going.”

Extras around Yeon-woo also pretended to film, holding reflectors and boom mics, acting alongside him. This was because the newly released smartphone model boasted features like video recording and a wide-angle camera.

A voiceover by Ryu Yeon-woo briefly describing the camera specs was planned to be inserted into this scene.

“Okay, cut!”

– Clap, clap, clap! –

The staff applauded at the satisfying “Okay” from the director.

“Let’s shoot a few more times following the same movement.”

They continued shooting, making slight adjustments to the camera’s focus and movement about four more times. The director then announced the end of the shooting with applause.

“It was great. I thought today’s filming would be complicated and difficult, but thanks to the actors, it went smoothly.”

“Wow, great work everyone.”

“Great work.”

Yeon-woo fist-bumped with the extras who had endured the complex movements, smiling brightly.

The director seemed to have a sudden idea.

“Um? Did we capture that moment?”

He urgently asked the rail camera director.

“Excuse me?”

“Did we capture the moment of the fist-bump?”

The camera director nodded.

“Yes, the camera was rolling then.”

“Great, we should use that moment too. It looked natural.”

Approaching Yeon-woo, the director spoke.

“The concept of this shoot is the ‘Vibrant MZ Generation,’ and you expressed it very well.”

“It’s because you directed so well, and the storyboard was excellent.”

Yeon-woo humbly bowed his head, prompting a smile from Director Lee Yong-soo.

“Yeon-woo, you’ll need to do additional print ads and panel shooting, so please bear with us a bit longer. Oh, but let’s eat first.”

The shooting that started in the morning had gone on through lunch and it was already 3 PM.

“Sure, let’s go together, Director.”

“All right, everyone, let’s eat.”

At the director’s shout, the cast and crew headed to the food truck prepared at one corner of the set.