Episode 45: Awards Ceremony (1)

“Hey, Yeon-woo, your ad-libs are really on point now.”

“Well, that’s because you always catch them, hyung.”

The scene had just ended with a high-five, but Yeon-woo threw in an ad-lib since he couldn’t imagine Pierrot Choi doing a high-five with Gwak Ji-cheol.

Ma Seok-do effortlessly caught the ad-lib. These days, Yeon-woo had been so immersed in his role, breaking free from the script, that he found the true joy of acting.

At that moment, Assistant Director Jo approached Yeon-woo.

“Yeon-woo, I’m checking the schedule. Are you attending the Arts Awards tomorrow?”

“Oh, yes, I’ll be there.”

Tomorrow was the day of the Korean Arts Awards, an prestigious event held every April, awarding outstanding works in the field of audiovisual production that had been screened or broadcast from January 1 to December 31 of the previous year. During the shooting of “Summer Promise”, Kim Han-soo, the director, suggested that they aim for an award because JNBC didn’t have a ceremony, worrying that Yeon-woo might be disappointed. Yeon-woo was nominated for both the Best Male Acting Award and the Rookie Award in the TV category.

Although the competition for the Best Male Acting Award was tough, with nominees like Son Jin-yuk and other strong candidates, Yeon-woo didn’t think he had much chance of winning. Still, the fact that he was nominated in his debut year was an honor in itself.

Among the nominees, Son Jin-yuk, who acted in the same project, and Jin Yu-han, a famous child actor, were strong contenders. Yeon-woo knew Son Jin-yuk well because they were close friends, but he didn’t know much about Jin Yu-han as an actor.

Jin Yu-han was an elite among elites, starting his acting career at the age of seven and steadily building his acting skills by playing key roles in major movies. He made a breakthrough in the second half of last year with a time-slip crime drama called “Beyond,” his first lead role in an adult production.

“It’s nice to have goals to chase at the same age.”

In response to Assistant Director Jo’s question, Yeon-woo’s thoughts connected from Son Jin-yuk at the awards ceremony tomorrow to Jin Yu-han. He hoped to meet them in the same project someday.

The next day, the day of the Korean Arts Awards, had arrived. The sun had set, but in front of the COEX Exhibition Center in Gangnam, the camera shutters and lights made it brighter than daylight.

The door of the Benz that Yeon-woo was riding in opened.

“Hi there.”

“Hyung, welcome.”

Son Jin-yuk greeted him with a friendly handshake as he entered the car. He wore a clean tuxedo with a bowtie.

“Long time no see, Minsoo.”

“Yes, Mr. Son. You look great today.”

Minsoo pointed a thumbs-up toward Son Jin-yuk, who was wearing a sharp tuxedo with a bowtie.

“Wow, as we get older, the car automatically makes noise when we sit down.”

“Oh, come on, you’re still young, hyung.”

Jin-yuk chuckled and took his seat, looking at Yeon-woo with a smile.

“So, we’re in competition today?”

“Well, my competition in the same category is Jin Yu-han. He’s been making headlines in the news.”

Jin-yuk laughed in response to Yeon-woo’s words.