Episode 58: The Star Beyond the River

“Are you not coming in?”

“Uh… yes?”

Taken aback, Han Hae-woon stumbled over his words.

“Come in. You’re the one from back then, right? The one who collapsed.”

“Ah… yes, that’s correct. I wanted to repay your kindness with a meal…”

“Is your body alright?”

“Thanks to you, it’s better now.”

Jeong Hye-min gestured for Hae-woon to enter the Pilates academy.

“Come in for now.”

Hae-woon, scratching his cheek awkwardly, followed Jeong Hye-min into the academy.

“Do you see the CCTV at the counter, facing the door? At first, I thought you were a suspicious person.”

Watching through the CCTV, Jeong Hye-min initially thought the man lingering in front of the academy door was a male student coming to learn Pilates. As it is more common for women to engage in such exercises, there are often people hesitating outside the door.

However, as it exceeded an hour, she began to wonder if he was indeed a strange person. Just as she was contemplating whether to report him, she took a closer look at the man on the screen and found his appearance oddly familiar.

“Oh, I’m not a strange person.”

Hae-woon took out a business card from his pocket and handed it over.

Jeong Hye-min read the received card.

“Han Hae-woon, Prosecutor at Busan Western District Prosecutor’s Office. You’re a prosecutor?”

“Oh, yes, that’s correct.”

Having unintentionally revealed his identity, Hae-woon scratched the back of his head.

Presenting himself to his past life’s wife felt quite awkward.

“But why did someone from Busan come all the way to Incheon that day?”

“Oh, I was investigating a case, so I was on a field investigating.”

In reality, the subject of the investigation was none other than Jeong Hye-min, his past life’s wife right in front of him.

“I see. I only made a phone call, nothing more. A meal is fine as a gesture of thanks.”

“Still, I want to repay you in some way…”

Wanting to say more to his past life’s wife whom he met after two years and eager to see his grown-up daughter, Hae-woon hesitated.

“It’s really okay.”

“But still, I feel uneasy in my heart…”

Jeong Hye-min, who had been pondering something while looking at Hae-woon, finally spoke up.

“Well then, let’s call it a meal. Can you give me a ride somewhere? You have a car, right?”

“Yes, of course.”

Jeong Hye-min and Hae-woon closed the academy door and headed down to the parking lot.

She out her smartphone and made a call.

“Hey, Mom. Can you look after Hayun a bit longer? I might be a little late.”

After ending the call, Hae-woon asked Jeong Hye-min.

“Where are you going?”

“It’s quite close if you drive. I’ll explain on the way. Thank you for the ride.”