TVET- IAS Abiyum Vazhakkaringnar Vetriyum - Part 4b.

AN:- Part 4 of t Vetri's life in jail and after jail continues here.

—---------------------------------

Few weeks after Vetri goes to jail.

At SN's house, on the day Vetri's letter arrives, Surya sees the post and finds one addressed to Abi. He sees that it's from Vetri and is about to tear the letter in anger. Just then, he gets a call and drops it on the table in his hurry to attend the call. Padma, who comes there to give his coffee, finds the letter and takes it to Periamma.

Pad: Akka! Ithu maappillai Abikku ezhuthina letter. Surya kizhikka irunthan. Avan antha pakkam ponathum kondu vanthen. Enna panrathukka? Ava puthu veetu address kooda illaiye namma kitta?

Per: Padma! Ippothaikku entta kodu. En roomla vechukkaren. Ava address therinjathum post pannidalam. Ana onnu. Inimel unttayo enttayo than letter ellam kodukkanumnu securitytta sollidaren. Suryatta ithai pathi therinjathave kattikkathe. Naan samalichukkaren.

From then on Padma and Periamma collect the letters written by Vetri to Abi.

—--

Six months later in Puzhal jail.

Vetri sends a message regarding the lawyer to Poongavanam through a friendly staff in the jail. That lawyer, though new, accepts teh case and tells Vetri that he will do his best to help the boy. Vetri then asks the NGO staff who come to teach regarding him becoming a lawyer. They check with some law college professors and get the relevant information for him. They have found that there is no law preventing a convict from becoming a lawyer but for some specific crimes. In addition to clearing a national level exam, Vetri needs to get clearance for admission and bar exams, which may not be straightforward. They suggest taking some help from the prison authorities and the Law Minister to ease his path, if he is that determined. If Vetri gets entry to law college, he will be a big success story for the NGO and so they want to help him. Vetri finds details online and declares his interest to the CO and asks for permission to take his CLAT**.

As with any bureaucracy, things take time and Vetri seriously prepares for his entrance and courses with the help of the NGOs. Though he is working harder than he has ever worked in his life, Vetri feels more energized everyday. He still writes letters to Abi and his daughter. He understands that Abi may have blocked his email. He doesnt receive any reply from his father either, though he feels relieved that he could convey his feelings to his father.

Six months after his daughter is born, Vetri gets clearance from the jail authorities and applies for CLAT. When his daughter turns 9 months old, he writes the exams and receives his scores. It goes without saying that Vetri did very well and is one of the top 5 candidates. The jail authorities and the Minister promptly advertise this news as a part of ongoing jail reforms without releasing Vetri's exact identity. As Vetri is a high profile success story of an inmate, the Minister assures on TV that Vetri will be allowed to study in any law college of his choice within the state with fellowship and adds on his own that Vetri has promised to do community service in return. The prisoners are allowed to watch this on the common TV and Vetri is elated. He writes a letter to Abi and Sudar. He wants to write a letter to SN but then decides to meet him when he is released and inform him.

That month, Nandhini and Poongavanam bring Aranganathan to see Vetri. Vetri, openly cries in the visitor area when he takes the intercom.

V: (sobbing) Appa! Eppadippa irukkeenga?

AN: (voice breaking) Dei! Nandhini ellam sonna! Un letterukku bathila nerla oru vishayam sollanumnu vanthen. Enakku konja naal munnadi oru message vanthathu, en pethi peru Sudarvizhinnu! En paiyan enakku thirumba kidaicha mathiri, seekirame un ponnu unakku kidaippada! Ennaividavum nee nalla appa iruppennu naan nambarenda. Athukkaga naan kaathukkittu irukken.