Hope and Fear

When Harry began to wake up, Gemma had gone home and Anne had left for lunch. Lynette had stayed back to watch over Harry and was there for the crucial moment.

In reality, the moment Harry woke up was nothing magical. He began to stir and his eyes opened just a little.

And then he began choking.

A nurse rushed in immediately. She stopped him from pulling out the tubing and began trying to talk to him.

"Mr. Styles. You are at Wythenshawe Hospital. I need you to try to breathe with the machine alright?"

Her words did not have much of an effect. Harry continue to struggle weakly and the alarm sounded on the oxygen saturation monitor.

The nurse turned to Lynette. "Hello? Miss? Do you think you could get through to him? He won't be able to breathe if he pulls out the tubing right now."

Lynette approached cautiously. Harry's eyes were wide open, and she would have reveled in the fact that she could see the bright green in them again if he hadn't looked the picture of panic.

"Harry," she said softly, placing her hands on his shoulders. He continued gasping and reaching for his tubes frantically. The nurse prepared to sedate him and Lynette spoke louder.

"Harry! Please! Focus on me!" Harry's eyes caught hers and he seemed to relax. The machine continued beeping loudly.

Lynette swallowed the tears that suddenly sprung up and spoke as steadily as she could.

"Let it breathe for you, Harry."

The machine stopped beeping. Harry's eyes never left hers and his hand relaxed back to his side.

Lynette reached for it and held his hand against her cheek.

She turned to the nurse, "I think he'll be ok now." The nurse nodded, put away the needle, and left the room.

Lynette looked back at Harry who blinked slowly and looked up at her.

"Hey," Lynette said quietly. Harry blinked again and attempted a smile.

Then Lynette broke down. "You-you utter idiot! Why did you keep all this from me? The entire time! Your mother told me everything. And I don't know whether to be furious or-" she felt herself tearing up, "or just to hold on to you and never let go."

"That was the absolute, worst phone-call I've ever gotten."

The same nurse came in. "I've been instructed to suction him." She looked a little apprehensive. "It's going to feel and look very uncomfortable. I don't know if you want to watch."

Lynette sat beside Harry. "It's ok. I'll stay." She held Harry's hand tightly.

The nurse approached Harry with a thin suctioning tube connected to a machine that made a small whirring noise. She spoke gently to Harry, "I'm going to disconnect the ventilator for this. I just need you to try not to move too much and it'll go a little faster, alright?"

Lynette felt Harry weakly squeeze her hand in anticipation.

The nurse disconnected the end of the ventilator and Harry immediately started coughing. The nurse quickly pushed the thin tube down his throat and moved it swiftly up and down. Lynette winced at the choking sounds Harry was making and his hand tightened around hers.

As the nurse continued, Harry squeezed his eyes shut and his back arched off the bed. Lynette bit her lip. The nurse had been correct. This was hard to watch.

The woman pushed the tube down one last time before pulling it out completely and quickly reattaching the vent. Harry lay back on the bed breathing heavily, his chest moving rapidly up and down.