The Storm

It seemed everywhere they went, Harry charmed everyone around him. They joined random groups of people in conversation, all of whom bought them all manner of interesting cocktails. They stumbled into a seedy motel that night, both too tipsy to really care before falling into bed.

The next morning, they found themselves in a small diner. Within minutes Harry chatted up two guys seated in the adjacent table who seemed surprised at the occasion for friendly conversation. They revealed that they were trying to solve a case in town but when Harry asked it they were with the police, the one of the guys, Sam, glanced uncertainly at the other and said, "not exactly," in a tone that betrayed his unwillingness to elaborate. Harry picked up on it but immediately and switched topics to his love of diner food and the other guy seemed to relax and joined in.  Lynette talked a little of missing her siblings while at school and her fears of losing the relationships she had built with them as they got older.  The guys exchanged a glance and shifted in their seats. 

Finally one of the them downed his beer and said seriously, "one thing I've learned on the road is that family bonds never go away." The other guy looked down slowly and Lynette felt a little like she was intruding on something. When she and Harry got up to go, the guys handed them a card with their numbers on it. "You'll know when you should call," they said cryptically with grim smiles.

"What do you think they meant?" She whispered to Harry once they were out of earshot, turning the card over in her hands.

Harry shrugged. "I figured they were some sort rogue law enforcement or something." He grinned, "Like modern day Robin Hoods."

Lynette considered for a moment. "Chaotic good."

She leaned into Harry a little as they walked. "So what was the plan for today? Have we run out of tourist spots yet?"

Harry grinned. "Huntington library."

Lynette was a little puzzled. "Did you want to study?"

"It's a garden, actually. With benches at every corner and I dunno," he looked up at the sky and then back at her. "I was thinking maybe we could just sit and admire the flowers."

The garden was something quite extraordinary. Despite the heat--Lynette was quickly learning that the California sun was no joke--everything looked beautiful; flowers were perfectly groomed and wonderfully named and the air was fragrant and clean.

Harry pointed impishly at a low bush of small pink roses. "They're called 'Passionate Kisses,'" he said grinning.

"So they are," Lynette said, crouching a little to admire them. "Fitting, I suppose. I think that's the Temple of Love."  She pointed at some white columns surrounding a statue. "How do you suppose they come up with these names?"

Harry leaned down a little to run his hands through her hair as she glanced up at him. "Maybe it's a suggestion Lyn," he pulled her up a little and kissed her cheek. "For the full experience, I think we ought to..." he kissed the corner of her mouth softly, as if asking for permission.

Lynette laughed and stood all the way up. She still only really came up to his chin, but she tiptoed and gently pulled his head down. His hair felt so soft beneath her fingertips. "How could I argue with such sound logic?"  And passionate really didn't cover it.

Presently, Harry pulled her back to the shaded path and found a bench. He sat pensively beside her for a moment and then his fingers traced the engraving of a name on the plaque. "Beth Ellis," he murmured softly. "Such a pretty memorial. I think she would've liked it."