chapter 1

Taylor's POV

The electric buzz of the crowd's cheers reverberates through the air as the music kicks in, signalling the start of yet another exhilarating performance. Each beat carries the weight of time, a reminder of the journey I've undertaken to reach this moment.

"It's been a long time coming...

It's been a long time coming...

It's Fearless

Big Reputation

Reputation..."

The lyrics echo in my ears, and I take a moment to breathe, savouring the reality that I'm living my dream. "And they said Speak Now into folklore. My name is Taylor, and I was born in 1989. Evermore. But loving him was Red, Re-e-e-d. Meet me at Midnight. Lover, Lover."

The familiarity of the verses washes over me, and I find myself standing beneath the fabric held by my dancers, lost in the sea of emotions and the rhythm of the performance. The crowd's cheers blend into a symphony of approval, and I revel in the magic of the moment.

"It's been a long time coming but..."

As much as I adore the thrill of performing, there's a persistent blur, a haze that accompanies the routine. Perhaps it's the length of the show, the repetition of it all, or maybe a fusion of both factors. Tonight feels different, though. I take my final bow, slowly lowered off the stage amidst the crescendo of fanfare.

Water bottle in hand, I make my way to the dressing room, contemplating the surprise songs for the next show. Yet, amid the routine, tonight stands out. The memory of a man in the audience, enjoying himself but unfamiliar with the lyrics, lingers in my mind.

...

"Well done. I know tonight wasn't the easiest, but you couldn't tell," Tree says with a reassuring smile as she walks into the dressing room.

The recollection of my brief romantic involvement with Matty hangs in the air, a chapter I've kept hidden from the public eye. It was never a serious affair, yet the breakup hit harder than anticipated.

"That's good," I reply, a faint smile playing on my lips as I pick up my phone. Navigating through Instagram, I stumble upon a video featuring an attractive man at the show, adorned with hundreds of bracelets. He's verified, and Tree likely has the inside scoop.

"Who is this?" I ask, extending my phone to Tree.

"That's Travis Kelce, a football player..." She pauses, catching my expression. "Yes, he's taller than you. No, you won't meet him in this state."

I roll my eyes playfully. Tree, my trusted manager, orchestrates every aspect of my life, from performances to personal matters. Her concern for my well-being is palpable.

"Is he at least single?" I inquire, taking my phone back.

"As far as I'm aware, yes"... the way she pauses makes me aware I am about to be scolded "But, Taylor, you need a break. You weren't over Joe when you got into this 'relationship' with Matty. You're a mess right now. I say this with love – take some time for yourself. You're not ready for another relationship or even to talk to someone. Now, get changed and head back to your hotel. I'll see you in the morning."

She is the kind of person who actually can get me to listen, I am not the kind of person to sit back and let people boss me around but Tree could tell me to jump off a cliff and I would, she is the only person in the industry I have ever actually listened to.