Chapter 37

Being back in Kansas felt like a welcome return to normalcy, a far cry from the whirlwind of concerts and interviews. It was refreshing—a routine that was slow-paced compared to the constant rush of tours.

Most mornings started with the comfort of breakfast together. Travis and I would enjoy those moments, savoring the simplicity of our shared meals. Afterward, Travis would head off to work, leaving me to delve into my work on the laptop, whether it was crafting new songs or handling emails.

Evenings were the highlight of the day. Travis would return home, the welcoming presence that filled our space. We'd spend those evenings cocooned in each other's company, conversations flowing freely, sometimes over dinner, other times just lounging on the couch. It was these moments that felt the most precious.

However, our routine had its exceptions, particularly Saturdays and Sundays. Saturdays usually found us preparing for the game, Travis focused and gearing up for the upcoming match. Then there were the Sunday mornings, the limited time we had together before he had to head back to the stadium by noon.

Even Home games meant a slight deviation from our routine. Travis was required to stay at a hotel the night before to maintain focus and prevent distractions, a rule set by the team. Sunday mornings were our oasis, a few cherished hours before the game. We made the most of that short window, treasuring the time spent together before Travis had to return to the stadium for his match. These stolen moments became our lifeline amid the demands of his games.

I watched him, leaning against the doorframe of our bedroom, a soft smile gracing my lips. "Are you coming to the holiday party tonight?" he asked, turning to face me.

His question pulled me from my reverie. "If I am invited, I would love to," I replied, feeling a sense of anticipation building within me.

He grinned, the excitement of the game day apparent in his eyes. "I'll make sure you're on the list. It's going to be a blast," he said, walking over to give me a quick kiss before heading out for the stadium.

Alone in the quiet house, I wandered into the kitchen, the scent of coffee lingering in the air. The morning light danced across the countertops, casting soft patterns on the tiled floor. I busied myself with a cup of coffee, the warmth of the mug seeping into my hands.

The prospect of the holiday party brought a sense of excitement mixed with a hint of nervousness. It wasn't often that I attended such gatherings, especially ones associated with Travis's team. But the idea of being there with him felt comforting.

I mulled over what to wear, shuffling through my closet, mentally assembling outfits. The holiday party was a chance to mingle, to socialize with the players' families and the team's staff. It wasn't just an event; it was an opportunity to immerse myself in Travis's world.

While the day progressed, I busied myself with work, occasionally glancing at the clock, counting down the hours until the party. The thought of spending the evening together, surrounded by the festive spirit, filled me with a sense of warmth and excitement.

"Hey," I greeted him, a mix of sympathy and support in my voice as I approached. "Tough game."

Travis nodded, his expression a blend of disappointment and determination. "Yeah, it was a rough one today. we'll bounce back, though."

We walked together, the chatter of disappointed fans lingering in the background. Despite the loss, Travis remained optimistic, focused on the team's resilience and their ability to regroup.

"It's okay, babe," I said, offering him a reassuring smile. "you'll come back stronger."

Travis wrapped an arm around my shoulder, appreciating the comfort. "Thanks, Tay."