Chapter 21

Taylor's POV

Pouring myself into work became my sanctuary, my refuge from the heartache. It was a familiar routine, retreating into my music, letting the emotions spill into lyrics and melodies. But amidst the creative frenzy, there was an undeniable ache, a constant reminder of what had been and what I had chosen to let go.

The messages from Tree sat there, unopened, like a weight on my conscience. She had been right about this, about us. It stung to admit it, but it was the truth. Her insights were often spot on, and I couldn't help but feel a twinge of regret for not heeding her warnings.

My days blurred into nights, the solitude of my writing room becoming my haven. The melodies I crafted spoke volumes about the emotions I couldn't express aloud. Each lyric was a glimpse into the whirlwind of feelings that I'd locked away.

Yet, in the midst of composing, a part of me yearned for closure, for resolution. The unanswered messages lingered at the back of my mind, a constant reminder of the unfinished conversation.

But facing those messages meant facing the reality of the breakup, and I wasn't quite ready for that yet. I hadne't even looked at the message I had received from Travis.

I laid in bed restless, I stared at the notifications, It had been 3 days since he messaged me,

I clicked it. I stared at it without reading it, the words merged in my head as the tears started running down my face.

"I fucked up," I cried shoving my face into my pillow.

That was it, we were done, the best guy I had ever dated gone, such a short relationship yet it hurt, it fucking hurt,

I must have cried myself to sleep because the next thing I knew, the sun was blinding my swollen eyes and my cats were all in my bed with me.

I finally decided it was time to call Tree, a text couldn't explain it all.

The phone rang a few times before her voice came through. "Taylor? Is everything okay?" Tree's concern was evident in her tone.

"No, everything's a mess," I blurted out, my voice betraying the emotional whirlwind I was caught in.

"What happened?" Her voice became more serious, a quiet urgency that encouraged me to spill everything.

I recounted the breakup, the messages left unanswered, and the overwhelming ache that had consumed me. Tears welled up again as I let out the flood of emotions I'd been bottling up for days.

"Oh, Taylor," Tree sighed, her voice soft and comforting. "I'm here for you. You know that, right?"

"I know, but I can't shake this feeling of loss," I admitted, feeling the weight of it all crashing down on me.

"It's okay to feel that way. But remember, sometimes these things happen for a reason," Tree offered gently. "Have you read Travis's message?"

I paused, realizing I hadn't properly processed his words. "No, I saw it but... I couldn't bring myself to open it. Well, I did open it I just couldn't read it,"

Tree's voice was a calming balm amidst the turmoil. "That's alright, Taylor. You'll know when you're ready to read it," she assured me. "But don't hold it in forever. Closure can be found in acknowledging each other's feelings, even if it's hard. And this is why we are careful about what we share," Her voice calmed me, I was expecting a lecture instead I got the opposite.

"Get some rest I will take care of everything today," Tree said before ending the call.

That is what I did, I spent all day writing in my notebook with my cats laid next to me and my laptop playing something on netflix.

thoughts. The notebook had become my confidant, the place where I poured out my unfiltered emotions, a chronicle of my heartache.

I knew I had to look at the message, It was going to kill me no matter when I did it.

Travis: I know you don't want to talk but I am here when you do want to talk. I won't give up on us. If you think I don't want what you want, tell me what you want.

Taylor: I was meant to come to your game on sunday, am I still welcome?

Pressing send on that message was harder than pressing send on the plane. It had been 4 days since I ended it but it felt like a lifetime,

I got a response seconds later,

Travis: Only if you facetime me before so we can talk

Taylor: Promise I will call you on Friday. I have my movie premier Saturday.

Why was I so shaky, why was he trusting me, why was I getting another chance, all I did know was that I was not going to ruin it