chapter 7

A/N: I am so sorry this took me almost a week to update, life has been crazy. hope you enjoy I plan on updating this on Saturday and Sunday and then 1-2 times in the week because of school and my sport

Tree's office was a haven of professionalism laced with the comfortable aura of a confidante's space. The shelves adorned with photos, awards, and a distinguished "13 Management" plaque seemed to fade into the backdrop as Tree and I navigated a conversation that pulled me into an unexpected introspection.

"I just don't get why we have to do anything. Let it happen as it happens, and when they find out, they find out," I asserted, feeling my words tumble out like a teenager rebelling against parental rules.

"Taylor, we have done this before, and it was different with Joe, you know that," Tree responded, her gaze conveying both empathy and firmness.

"But nobody knows about last week," I retorted, almost childishly, sensing the weight of an argument that resembled a teenager grappling with imposed restrictions.

"That's great, but the media—1 slip-up, and that honeymoon phase is over. You don't need to be super public, but I do need you to be seen in public together. We need to soft launch this relationship," she advised, her tone balancing maternal concern with professional acumen.

"He's not my boyfriend; we hooked up once," I defended myself, my words a shield against assumptions.

"Tay, if you want to date him, that's fine. But from my point of view, if a compromising photo of you two gets out, it could damage your reputation," she reminded me, her words echoing a cautionary tone similar to my mother's warnings during my first dating years.

"I know, I'll talk to him," I conceded, feeling the resignation of accepting the unavoidable.

"You don't need to. I've spoken to his publicist. Have fun at the game and be safe," she reassured me, her wink a gentle reminder that despite everything, I was a grown woman capable of making choices.

Exiting her office, I felt a tug of emotions. I decided to FaceTime Travis, the one person who managed to calm my inner turmoil. It was reminiscent of the night we spent talking, diving into conversations that seemed to have no end, sparking an intriguing connection that resonated with me.

"Hey gorgeous," his greeting caused a blush to tint my cheeks.

"Hi, what are you doing tonight?" I inquired, almost theatrically, knowing our synced calendars made our plans apparent.

"Absolutely nothing," he chuckled, the sound making me smile.

I lounged on my couch, connecting the call to my iPad while Olivia and Meredith nestled around me, their quiet presence a source of comfort.

"Okay, I need you to explain everything about this game on Friday," I requested, and for the next hours, he did just that. The magnetic way he conveyed information made me anticipate being by his side on Friday evening.

"After the game, we go out for a meal at this really nice restaurant. You can join if you want. All the wives and girlfriends come," he said, his words almost suggestive of something more, a warmth blossoming within me. But sensing my hesitation, he quickly clarified, "Not that you're my girlfriend, just that you can come with me."

"That sounds nice," I replied quietly, sensing the sudden shift in mood.

"You okay, sweetie? You aren't mad at me for talking for so long, are you? I'm sorry," he asked, his concern genuine.

"No, not at all. It was really nice. I'm just really tired," I fibbed, punctuating it with a convincing yawn.

"Okay, go get some rest," he said, his tone tender.

"Call me in the morning," I requested, bidding goodbye before ending the call. The night brought a mix of emotions, leaving me to ponder the uncertain path of this ambiguous relationship.