Chapter 28

(Short chapter but I had such writers block)

({Name}'s pov for once)

I lay in a field with Techno, the warm autumn breeze blowing in my hair.

Autumn always reminded me of him, always taught me how to understand the man’s soul.

Cool, collected, deep, emotional, free, fierce, passionate, and almost everyone’s favorite out of the four seasons.

I could list adjectives on and on, spiraling down pages and pages of paper until they wilt away.

Yet they would never understand, never fully experience the beauty of autumn.

The beauty of him.

I look up at the sky, clouds blocking out the soft blue color as well as the beaming sun, like a soft silk blanket bringing in coolness. They moved ever so slowly, dancing by one after the other, all mushed together in the blue abyss above them.

I turned my head, looking at techno as he stared up at them.

He always seemed entranced, taken by them, he loved clouds.

“Hey techno?”

I said gently, as his head turned to face my own.

His eyes almost sparkled even when there wasn’t much sun, even at the darkest of times.

I always admired that, he never got lost in himself.

He always, at the end of the road, knew the shape of his soul.

“Yeah?” He replied, raising an eyebrow and sitting up.

He looked down at me as I continued to lay in the grass, the cool ground feeling nice against my scalp.

“…do you think we’re gonna make it out of the war? Alive, I should say.” I ask him gently, gulping down a bit of my saliva.

I didn’t move an inch.

Didn’t fidget, didn’t squirm, didn’t scratch, didn’t blink.

I just stayed still until I would hear his words.

“Yeah,”

He replied honestly, shrugging.

“Of course I’m going to, I always do. And- you can’t die. I don’t think you’ll get hurt real bad either,” He comforts me as I shrug my shoulders, praying that his words were real.

“I feel like eventually it will all work itself out,” I tell him, sitting up as well.

“We just have to promise each other one thing.” He says seriously, putting his hand on my shoulder.

I glance up in his direction, putting my hand over his and nodding my head for him to continue.

“What is that one thing?”

“L’manberg dies in the end.”

My heart went cold, everytime he brings up our future betrayal it made me feel queasy. I knew it had to be done, I knew I couldn’t keep pretending a dead body was still alive.

L’manberg is dead.

We needed to bury the body.

But still it hurt, I didn’t want to rid the amazing nation.

“Right..” I muttered, looking down to my lap as I nodded my head.

“Then we can fix this place up,”

“Tommy’s gonna be so mad..” I interrupted him, squinting uncomfortably as I stare at the ground.

“So mad…” techno sighed, knowing my words were true.

Tommy loved l’manbergs rotting corpse, and with things he loved he never gave up.

...

Really ever.

“You know he’ll forgive us,” Techno comforted me, as I sigh.

“Will he?”

We both now were silent, just pondering to our self’s at the amount of forgiveness that would be offered to us.

“I don’t think I could ever face him after.” I tell techno, as he stares down at me in a slight curiosity.

“I bet you could, you're strong.” He tells me as I shrug my shoulders, thinking about the question.

Would I face him?

How would he look?

Would he be mad? His eyebrows furrowed, fists clenched until his knuckles turned white.

Would he be sad? A tear slowly trickled down his face, an empty voided look in his glossy eyes.

Would it be disgust?

Frustration?

Fear?

Remorse?

Or a horrid soup of all of them combined?

A cocktail of mixed emotions and unsaid words.

Fun.

“..Yeah I bet I could,” I admitted.

“See?! There she is!” Techno jokes, ticking my side as I laughed along with him.

“Techno- techno-hahaha!- stop!” I pushed him off of me, as he went tumbling in the field about a foot away.

I didn't push him hard, nor did he get hurt.

He was just joking around.

God he was so cool.

“Ouch! You’ve wounded me!” He said, his voice sounding sarcastic and monotone. I rolled my eyes, glaring at him as I laughed.

“Only means i've gotta come back stronger!” He joked, jumping over and tackling me as we fought in the tall grass.

Eventually, we end in the same position, laughing as we stare at the sky on our backs.

The world moved slowly for once, the air was soft on my wings, the grass did not itch my bare skin for once, and the smile on my face never faded.

Never dulled, never left, never escaped my soft grasp that joy had on it.

How lovely it was, to be happy with simplicity.