𝙲𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 15

♫ Trust me and I can set you free
Left your man, came straight to me ♫

Fernando Alonso POV

The words hit me like a fucking train, but I finally interiorized them, and this was a fucking cruel joke. Because she is joking, there is no other way.

"Cassandra, I can be very relaxed about the subject of getting older with no family of my own, but this is a cruel fucking joke considering the fact I could've died out there with no one to love me as badly as a wife or kid would do," my words are harsh, but this is not sitting well with me, not at all.

"I am not joking. I am 8 weeks pregnant. I took 10 pregnancy tests 2 weeks ago, did a blood test 2 days after, and did an ultrasound 4 days ago. Here are the pictures she got. I can't explain anything of it to you. A paternity test can be done without being invasive. I took medication that probably annulled my pill that day."

The words kept leaving her mouth rapidly, and she took it out of the back of her pants and put it on my hand. I looked at it and saw her name there and the date from 4 days ago, it's not a joke. Her hands were shaking, and she was on auto-pilot. The strongest and most resilient woman I've ever met is gone before my eyes. She is scared.

"I don't want money, nor do I want to make you assume the kid if that's not your wish. I think it's only right you know of the baby's existence, but we can just handle this like adults. I will have the kid. I will leave your participation, or lack of it, in your hands. Text me when you make a decision."

She tried to sound confident and sure of herself, but her walls were breaking down, and the facade was not working today.

"Cassandra," I call her softly, she looks at me with her teary eyes, and I give her a smile. "I'm in."

"What?"

"I am going to do the paternity test. I am going to assume the kid, and I am going to raise it with you. 50/50. I want it all. The doctor appointments, the baby showers, the gender reveal, and everything people do for their pregnancies. I will be by your side through it all. We can arrange this later. I just want you to get up and let me hug you," I say calmly, and she just nods as we both stand up. I hug her tightly enough to make her feel safe.

"Thank you," she whispers as a sob escapes her mouth.

I ran my hand through her back repeatedly as she cried in my arms. Cassandra is a tough woman, but everyone has a breaking point. Hers seems to be this pregnancy. She likes to plan, and this is out of everything she planned. I get the feeling. I am scared shitless of being a dad now.

But if it weren't now, I would never be one. I will give this kid the best I have to offer, and I hope we can solve our differences before the kid comes because we need to make an excellent long-term co-parenting plan.

"I should go," she says as she wipes her tears while stepping back.

"Take my pass so you can leave. I have one more somewhere. I am going to change," I tell her encouragingly, and she nods.

"I'm sorry for crying into your shirt," she says, embarrassment filling her face. I try to see how red her face is from crying, but it doesn't look like it; her cheeks are red, and her lips are puffy. She can play it off.

"I will see you later, don't worry about it," I say as I lean and kiss her forehead.

I changed and went to the media pen to do the necessary interviews. I did it all. The team meeting, the drivers meeting, every damn meeting, video, or interview I was scheduled to.

"What is wrong with you? You and Cassie are being so weird, I am actually scared now," Sebastian says once we crossways while leaving the paddock.

"We are fine. We are working things out. Don't worry about it," I tell him confidently, but I am not so sure of my own words.

"The new pictures are fueling the rumors. She is worried about the crash, going to the medical center, leaving with you, going to the motorhome, and walking around with your pass. Is that a thing, finally?"

"I will tell you more about this later, or maybe she will," I say as finally get to my car after stopping for some pics and signings.

My mind was racing as soon as I entered the car. This still doesn't feel real. I've seen the ultrasound, I can't pinpoint anything in it, but I know Cassandra doesn't lie. Besides, we truly did do it in Hungary which was eight weeks ago and I heard her complaining all weekend of a headache so there's that.

I am being a dad after I hit 40 and I feel like a renewed hope is here. I had no hope for this to happen. I was fine with the one-night stands and the lack of commitment but that was not my goal. My goal was to have my career and my family like many do in this sport but I was never able to do it.

I was on autopilot for a long time. I took a shower and ate when I got to the hotel, ordering room service so I didn't need to leave the room. I was lying in bed, thinking about my future, when I heard a light knock on my door.

 I opened the door and stared at the woman on the other side, wondering what she was doing there.