𝙲𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 26

♪ I know you wanted a promise
I wasn't ready, can I be honest?
Never knew what I had until I lost it ♪

Cassandra García POV

I was sleeping by Fernando's side when I felt a huge pain. I tried bringing my legs up and trying to see if it was some cramp until I felt something wet; I sat down and turned the light up to see what was happening until I saw blood. And I am now panicking.

"Fernando!" I call his name loudly and I see him sitting down immediately.

"What? Is everything alright?" He asks as he tries to open his eyes and focus on me.

"I need to go to the hospital. I'm bleeding, and I'm in pain," I tell him and he is paralyzed for a second before jumping out of bed and coming in my direction.

"Can I pick you up? Or do you prefer to walk?" He asks in a very clear state of panic.

"I don't know," I say scaredly, my eyes filling with tears.

"I am going to get my shoes on and bring the car closer, and we can go," he tells me before he runs off. I try to get up and walk to the door, but it is too difficult. 

The pain felt like contractions, and I was scared of losing my baby; I am only 5 months along in this pregnancy; there should be no bleeding. Fernando was here in a heartbeat, and he was ready to pick me up.

"Wait, get a towel, or the car will be fucked," I try telling him, but he just picks me up and takes me to the car.

"The car can fuck off," he shrugs it off and speeds off to the nearest hospital.

"I'm scared, Nando," I whisper as he stops in a red sign and looks at me; he is terrified, too.

"It's going to be fine cariño. Lean the seat back if it helps with the pain, we will be at the hospital in 5 minutes, it will be alright," he tries to comfort me and he kisses my forehead before it's red again. 

I didn't move the seat, I just tried to handle the pain. I felt his hand holding mine, and I would've told him to pay attention to the road, but he is a professional driver; he knows how to drive with one hand. And we did get to the hospital safe and sound. 

"How far along is she?" The nurse of the urgent care asks as we enter.

"Approaching the five months mark," Fernando says and she nods as she calls for help.

Fernando was with me as we waited for the specialist. The ultrasound started , and I could see something was wrong by the doctor's face.

"You have what we call placenta previa. This was one of the best outcomes we could have, with the blood and pain, we were expecting an ectopic pregnancy or something risky, but this is manageable. You will have to be admitted, and the bleeding needs to stop. Your blood pressure will be measured, and if it gets too low, we will have to make choices, but I do believe the bleeding is coming to a stop, and your pain seems to be decreasing."

His words made me cry because there was a problem that could make me lose my baby.

"What does this mean?" Fernando asks worriedly as our hands are still locked.

"It means that this could happen again. The placenta is partially covering the cervix, and it causes the bleeding. It happens sometimes, and it's manageable. She needs to be monitored, and I strongly recommend rest and regular checkups. Any possible bleeding should be followed by a hospital visit immediately. It can resolve itself before the birth, but if it doesn't, I do believe you will have to go through a C-section to make it safer for both of you," he explains calmly, and I feel better.

"In the next ultrasound, I can check if it's corrected, right?" I ask curiously, and he nods.

"Your doctor will verify that since it's normal procedure to make sure you and the baby are safe."

After that, I was checked into a private room that Fernando paid for so we could have some privacy, and he helped take an approved shower. The doctor was right; the bleeding stopped, and the pain began to decay. But it scared the hell out of me. Fernando had been at my house for two weeks now. We were doing good, and we almost lost our daughter out of nowhere. 

"I almost lost her," I whisper as he I see him leaning back tiredly.

"This was scary, but she is fine, and you are fine," he says, and I nod.

"It could happen again."

"And it could never happen. We don't know but you will always be taken to get help if something happens. Bad things can happen, but what matters is that you are both alright," he says as he sits on the corner of the bed.

"Can you lay down here? I don't know if I will be able to sleep after this," I ask, and he nods. I made space for him, and he lay by my side; the bed was big enough. This was the best room money could buy in this hospital.

"You are not alone, I won't let anything happen to you," he says as he kisses my forehead while running his fingers through my hair.

"If you ever have to make a choice-"

"No. There is no choice to make," he interrupts me very certain of his words, and I look at him with a serious look.

"Choose her; she is your daughter," I say, and he shakes his head.

"I would choose you if I had to. Now, get some rest, please," his words shocked me, and I was flabbergasted.

"Why? She is your child," I am now curious.

"You are someone's child, you are someone's sibling, you are someone's best friend and life of the party. You can have another baby,I can have another baby if I ever feel that need, but your life isn't something that should end like that. I won't make that choice, I'm sorry. You've lived for 30 years, and you will live for 30 more at least," he is being honest, and I nod.

"Well, I hope the choice doesn't have to be made," I say as I lay my head on his chest.

"It won't," he says as he once again caresses my hair. 

And I ended up falling asleep quicker than I expected; maybe it was the sound of his racing heart. I could hear it, and I could understand it because this was a huge scare. And he had no way of helping so he was stressing out and even if he tried to remain calm, his heart betrayed him. This was a very crazy moment, but I'm glad he was here.