Chapter 27: SteamCity Speedsters

At the heart of the bustling town square stands the grand centrepiece, an awe-inspiring clock tower that seems to touch the heavens. Its intricate design features a multitude of rotating gears, each meticulously synchronized to mark the passage of time with rhythmic precision. The clock face, adorned with ornate numerals, tells the time in both analogue and steam-powered digital displays. A majestic pendulum swings beneath the tower, its rhythmic motion captivating onlookers as it counts the seconds.

Radiating from the central masterpiece are winding streets lined with an array of unique shops and establishments. Brass-adorned storefronts showcase a variety of wares, from curious automatons and pocket-sized telescopes to vials of mysterious elixirs. A bookstore, with its gears turning as books mechanically shuffle on shelves, invites literary enthusiasts. Along the bustling roads, steam carriages adorned with polished brass and copper trims navigate through the crowd, emitting gentle puffs of steam and the rhythmic clatter of their mechanical engines. The air is filled with the hum of innovation and the unmistakable scent of coal-fired engines, creating an atmosphere that transports Y/n and Taylor into a world where Victorian elegance seamlessly intertwines with cutting-edge technology.

"Dad, what happened?" Taylor muttered as the two of them hid in an alley as the roads got busier and busier.

"I don't know," Y/n admitted as he studied the people walking past, a lot of men wore very tailored clothes with tophats and pocket watches while the women dressed in ankle-length dresses and boots and gloves. "We should leave but something's wrong..."

Silence fell between them before Taylor realized what her father was talking about. "Our speed is weakened," She stared at her father with wide eyes, but something caught their attention before anything could be said.

In the town centre was a flash of teal lightning as a figure dashed in at speed, He wore a pair of fitted trousers that were black, a crisp high-collared white shirt that was visible under a black vest and a long, tailored black coat with intricate teal piping and gears embroidered along the seams. Teal leather gloves with exposed fingertips, and a half-mask with intricate gear designs, covering the upper part of Y/n's face while leaving his mouth and chin exposed.

People just greeted him as they walked past but no one paid him a second look and it wasn't hard for the two Thawnes to realize who he was, especially when he stood there for a second before his eyes landed on the Alley the two had hidden in and in a teal blur, he ran into the alley and right up to them.

"Can I help you?" He asked as he got closer, freezing when he got a proper view of the two of them. "You're... Me..." The Speedster muttered before the intricate design of his mask showed to be more than just a design. The gear-like device at the back of his mask had begun glowing before the material split and whined itself into the gear device, the speedster looked like Y/n but he had a large scar that ran from above his left eyebrow down across his nose and ended just below his right eye.

"Yeah... Just not from this universe..." Y/n stated the obvious but that was only because he was distracted by the scar. "This is Taylor Thawne... But you already knew that..." Y/n pinched the bridge of his nose before shaking his head and looking at the Steampunk Speedster. "Listen, this was an accident and we're just as confused..."

"Okay..." The Steampunk Y/n muttered as he looked at Y/n and Taylor. "Come with me!" He told them as the mask unravelled across his face once again before he took off with a streak of teal lightning, Y/n and Taylor followed behind until they reached a massive Lab just outside the city.

"Did you find the disturbance?" A Voice called out as the three of them came to a stop in the centre of the room.

"Yip, sure did!" The Steampunk speedster chuckled as he got the suit off at light speed. "Small problem though, Dawn," he called out as the olive-toned woman looked up from her computer, her long brunette hair hanging loosely, framing her naturally round face.