Kabanata 39

Hues After The Rivalry

Kabanata 39

"This matter revolves around a tragic incident at Vallejo Medical Hospital, where a medication error, a fatal mistake, occurred. Today, our objective is to illuminate the circumstances surrounding the untimely death of Mrs. Irene Penelope Ralevo Almendarez."

I never imagined I would be in this place. Rue and his father, as the defendants.

"The evidence we present will highlight the negligence that occurred within the confines of the hospital. Our position is straightforward. The defendant, a resident doctor, Rue Perseus Vallejo, failed in his duty of care, administering the wrong medication and directly contributing to the tragic demise of Mr. Harold Sigmund Almendarez's wife."

I just look straight ahead while listening to Atty. Vibal.

"Our pursuit is justice for Mrs. Irene Penelope Almendarez. We seek not only accountability but also a recognition of the pain and suffering endured by her daughter, Ms. Rivalry Hope Almendarez, and her grieving family."

Paano mo nagawa magkamali sa simpleng pagbibigay lang ng gamot, Rue?

I looked dead while listening. Nagtama ang paningin namin ni Rue. He's aware that my whole family here is furious at his family. Tahimik na umiiyak sa kabilang panig si Feena at Ryhs.

"Thank you, Your Honor, members of the jury. Let us proceed with the pursuit of truth and justice in this courtroom today."

Papa was the one who's representing our side. He didn't want me to sit beside him there because he knew I'm dying inside. On the other side were Rue and his father.

The trial begins. Ang unang pinagsalita, panig ng mga Vallejo. Rue's voice stabbed me painfully.

"I was assigned to attend to the patients in the ward. I handle three patients. Nang kailangan na nilang magpahinga, umakyat ako para hanapin si Dad. I asked Nurse Leo where he was and he said, my father is in the medication preparation room. Pumasok ako ro'n at naabutan ko si Dad na nakaupo at mukhang problemado. The two trays of drugs were in front of him. I knew he still had a patient to attend to and a child to operate on. I asked him what's going on, turns out, he found out something. I won't disclose it here as it's a personal matter within our family." Pahayag ni Rue.

I saw Dr. Amelio Vallejo firmly close his eyes. I looked to the side only to see Dr. Kelia Vallejo staring at her husband, without expression.

"He wasn't in himself," patuloy ni Rue. "I couldn't deal with the matter because I was thinking about the patient who would receive the medication. Kailangan maturukan ng gamot ang pasyente sa tamang oras. In that state, I immediately knew that my father couldn't handle a patient properly. So I insisted on handling it."

My chest compressed with tension.

"I asked him what is for Mrs. Almendarez's medication, and he handed me one of the t-trays,"

Napayuko si Rue. My heart sank, and I saw how his tears fell. He looked fragile... and guilty. I had never seen him so fragile in the six years we've been together.

"I didn't double-check it as I trust my father, despite him being troubled. Alam niya pa rin kung ano'ng ginagawa niya at ibinibigay na gamot. He never lets his problems affect his work because he knew how crucial it is to maintain focus in handling a patient. He sets aside personal issues. Kahit may problema, nagagawa niya pa rin nang maayos at tama ang trabaho. He's professional."

Too much trust, Rue. Too much trust.

"And that leads to someone's death," our attorney spoke. "The drug you gave was Etomidate. Ang Etomidate ay isang anesthesia. It's commonly used during surgeries. This intravenous anesthetic primarily affects brain function, but it also has the potential to alter blood pressure and respiratory function, particularly when used in high doses."