Kabanata 42

Hues After The Rivalry

Kabanata 42

Adiel Reverie Hope.

She was the one who brought back the hues into my life.

She was the reason why I conquered all the battles I decided to surrender.

She healed me.

On her third birthday, it's a grand celebration at the hotel. Manghang-mangha siya sa lahat—sa mga regalo, sa mga tao, at sa akin.

"Wow, Mommy, you look beautiful!"

She's my life.

"I got guns, Mommy! Regalo ni Tito Eris!" she giggled and jumped enthusiastically. "Can't wait to open the other gifts! Sana meron ding mga balls!"

She reflects the young me. Ganiyan din ako noon. Excited magbukas ng regalo at umaasang sana may laruang baril at bola.

"Grabe. Ang bilis ng panahon. Ang laki na niya agad! Nagiging kamukha mo na talaga, Rai!" Jam squealed in amusement.

"Kaya nga e. Nare-radar kong bading paglaki."

Nagtawanan kaming dalawa. Pinanood lang namin ang batang patakbo-takbo sa hall at tinatawag ng mga bisita sa tuwing nilalapitan niya sila. And she would giggle and take their hands to bless.

"Mommy, I'm tired na!" takbo niya sa akin. "My heels hurt!"

I leveled her and brushed her hair. "Rest for a while then."

She pouted.

Natawa ako. "Did you thank the guests, Adiel?"

"Yup!" she grinned. "Ang dami ko ng playmates!"

"Edi mabuti. The more playmates, the merrier."

She nodded back and forth. Ngumuso siya at bumusangot ang mukha. Kumunot naman ang noo ko.

"Bakit?"

"Tagal ni Daddy."

"Papunta na 'yon," I lifted her chin. "Of course, Daddy will come because it's your birthday! Hindi pwedeng hindi siya pupunta! So, smile na!"

She immediately displayed her little pearly white teeth. Nagtawanan kami. She hooked her arms around my neck, and I showered her with kisses.

Like her name, she's a blessing from fhe Lord.

God, thank you for giving her to me. Thank you for giving me a reason to fight. Thank you that amidst my reveries, when I fancied about my last breath, you gave me hope. You gave me the best blessing. You granted me the palette, the vivid hue I wanted to paint into the canvas of my darkest moments.

"I'll just play with Alei and Kassidy, Mommy!"

"Okay. I'll call you once your Daddy's here."

"Hmm!"

Tumakbo siya para puntahan ang anak ni Sov at Sab na kumakain ng cupcakes. Patulak niya pang ginulat si Kassidy at muntik pang tumilapon ang cupcake. Naghagikhikan silang tatlo.

"Ang sarap nilang panoorin," ani Sov, na hindi ko namalayang nasa tabi ko na pala. "Your Adiel is just like you, while my Alei is just like... nevermind."

Paismid akong natawa. "Hindi pa banggitin, mahal pa rin naman."

Ilan sa amin ay may anak na at pamilya. Sabel and Lava were already married. Ang napag-iiwanan, si Jam. Wala raw siyang balak mag-asawa.

"By the way, matagal pa ba-"

Before Sov could complete his question, the presence of a man who entered the hall caught everyone's attention. Sabay-sabay kaming napabaling doon.