𝟬𝟮𝟭, the beauty of danger

( CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE )THE BEAUTY OF DANGER

THE BEAUTY OF DANGER

A DEAD SILENCE RAINED IN EDEN'S EARS. Her eyes were trained on the tall, black gun of the guy—the supposed cop—who was standing right in front of John B with the window rolled down. She felt like she was dreaming, but nothing about this dream was warm. A gun, loaded bullets, six defenseless teenagers, an unknown man in a remote corner in the forest. It was just an unreal nightmare. Eden had sometimes had to deal with a gun in recent weeks, but knowing it was pointed right in front of John B without her being able to do or say anything traumatized her to the highest degree. She then kept her eyes fixed on the profile of the brunette who was cautiously looking at the guy in front of him. She tried with her still frozen body to grab something, but nothing would move. Eden therefore remained in complete silence.

          A cold gaze fell on her. Hard eyes, with a lot of hatred under his thick eyelashes. Eden tried as hard as she could to see through the scarf that covered half his face, but she was unable to see anything from this angle—and from all possible angles. Words began to resonate in her ears camouflaged by her hair which covered them as if to protect any words from entering her brain. But she had to move when she pictured John B starting to open the door with his hands in the air to show he had nothing to defend himself with.

The masked man suddenly shouted, "Let them out! What are you waitin' on? Let them out, I said! All y'all!" He continued to order things to John B while he slowly moved his hands in the air.

The Routledge boy opened the biggest door of the van, letting his friends out while keeping eye contact with the man continually hidden with his scarf for fear of doing something wrong and getting shot in the head. The man kept demanding words and shouting them at John B.

They all began to walk out one by one, their hands raised in the air for the man to make sure they had nothing to fight him back. Eden came out with her gaze lowered to the ground, her hands trembling above her head and her legs limp. She earned a comment she wished she never had.

"There you go, pretty girl. Cameron's slut as they say," the man grumbled with a smile that she could well imagine on his face.

John B took a step forward, but Eden pressed her palm directly to his chest, stopping him in his next steps. If he dared to intervene for this little remark, then it was over for everyone else.

JJ ventured, "We're broke—"

"Shut the hell up!" he exclaimed back, pointing his rifle more firmly at JJ, making him step back and shout back, but his words were inaudible compared to those of the stranger. "Shut up! Blow your damn head off! Lay down in the ditch! On your goddamn hands and knees! Down, bitches!"