II

A warm late autumn day was taken over by the sudden change of the weather on the next day. Clear blue skies were nowhere to be seen when the ground was covered in the gray darkness from the morning. Instead of the warm rays of sunrise, the people at the base were met with the grayness of the autumn day. Wind was knocking on the windows of the base when the heavy clouds were all over the sky, floating fast over the quiet ground.

Lunchtime was slowly turning into dinner when the cold leftovers were placed on the wooden table. Another busy day in the hospital wing of the base made a woman forget about the food until the last wounded person was taken care of. Amelia wasn't used to the new settings of the base. First deployments were never easy but instead were full of curiosity about what might come around at any moment. After all, everything Knight ever wanted to do was help people. The fork in her hand was meaninglessly running over the food on a plate, while the mind of a young woman was taken over by thoughts.

"How's the captain healing?" Soap placed his cup of something unknown to Amelia's eyes on the table, as his body fell on the chair opposite to a woman. 

"Give me the name, Soap. I've got quite a variety of captains back there, " A soft smile appeared on the brunette's face. Being sent to the other side of the earth away from everything a woman had ever known was hard, but having a couple of familiar faces around made the weight of the burden of fate a little bit easier.

"Price, bullet in the side if I'm right, " Johnny was taking one sip after another when the silence fell in the room. Small drops of sweat forming on the man's forehead were a hint of the sudden thirst he experienced. Hours spent in training were written all over him, but Soap's facial expression was taken over with the pleasurable tiredness.

"Oh, the old man who can do everything by himself," Amelia chuckled, remembering the words of the captain. For a split moment, a brunette wondered if he was following her advice of taking a rest. At the very same moment, the other part of her mind was sure, that such a man would listen to himself first other than to anybody else. "Will see him tomorrow, but it didn't look that serious."

"Not sure I'm that old," The raspy deep voice of the captain was heard from somewhere behind her when the fork fell down on the hardwood table in complete silence. Price's figure appeared in the corner of her eyes when the man turned to Soap with a couple of bottles of water in his hands. "I'll see you in my office MacTavish when you're done."

The embarrassment over the situation painted Amelia's face with a bright flush as the nervous laugh escaped from her lips. From one side, she did share the first expression the captain expressed on her, but from the other side words escaping her mouth were never meant for the ears of someone other than Soap's. A soft nod from his side was shared with Price when the liquid in the man's cup escaped into his lips. While feeding the feeling of thirst, Johnny was hoping to finally feel normal again, but the wave of laughter was hiding in his body and waiting for the figure of the captain to disappear from the room before breaking laughter into the air. 

"I would pay any price to see that look on your face again, " Finally, when Johnny could no longer keep the laughter inside, the loud voice of a man echoed in the room, drawing the attention of a few other soldiers sitting on the other side of the room to the two.

"And you haven't even told me he was right behind!" Amelia covered her face for a moment with the palms of her cold hands, as if a woman was trying to rub the blush off her face. It didn't take her long to join a longtime friend in a wave of laughter over the situation.

"C'mon don't complain to my mommy like back in the days," An empty cup fell down on the surface of the table when the gaze of the blue eyes met in eye contact with brown on the opposite side of the table.