XL

The clouds were slowly floating along the evening sky as another day was passing through. Once again, just like every other evening, the sun was ready to meet with the horizon and let the moon take its spot in the night sky. The sunrays were the painters of the sky that evening. Bright purple covered the fluffy edges of the clouds, as the bloody orange sun was saying goodbye to London before morning came.

The team decided to come back to Hereford on the next day. The taste of the last day of civilian life was sitting on the tip of the tongues of each of them. Every time the cities felt more unknown, and people more estranged than ever. If only they knew what was happening in the whole world and kept them safe from all the dangers the darkness could hold.

The routine life was almost back, as another pair of clothes hid in the captain's bag. Price was packing his uniform, emptying up the old closet, as inside of his mind he was ready to finish the mission and be done for good with all of his enemies. Wars could go on for years, but they couldn't let Makarov do whatever he wanted and not face the consequences. John knew that this time only one of them could come back out of the room alive, and the man wasn't used to failing his missions. Amelia's backpack was sitting next to his, full of clothes and other little things meaningful to a woman. Only the long night of sleep was separating them from the long road back to the base.

"Almost forgot how good you look in the uniform, John," A brunette was watching the man from the warm embrace of his large bed as Price took another pair of cargo pants and kept it safe inside his bag.

There was nothing romantic about their job. The conflicts between the countries will never end. Someone would always feel righter than others or wish to prove their strengths in front of the whole world. They were just little players in the game, hoping to do the right thing by protecting their country and dealing with the consequences. Wearing the military uniform always comes with the price of mental issues later, as another teammate gets buried 6 feet under the ground, and the look on their face hunts others till the last days in their nightmares. War never looked good on anyone, but somehow John Price had the ability to wear the uniform and his rank with the pride and responsibility on the rolled sleeves of the shirt.

"You better focus on the mission, Miss Knight," John took out the last shirt that was hanging inside the closet, and the sound of the closing zip echoed in the bedroom. His thumb fell on the woman's chin, slightly lifting up her face and making Amelia focus on him.

"I'll do my best, captain," Knight whispered, letting herself get lost in the deep blue eyes of the captain. In London, it felt as if the whole world was at peace as if Makarov wasn't running somewhere near plotting another disaster under the false flag.

For a moment, a woman wished they could always be like that, but they both knew that it was impossible. The world was too cruel. Peace was something a woman knew so well a long time ago, but Price never tasted it even for a moment. Amelia was looking at his serious face in the softness of the man's home. The wrinkles on the captain's forehead weren't as deep as they were on the battleground, and even his eyes were looking back at her with unusual softness. If only she could, a brunette would hide him away from everything in the world in the countryside. But she knew too well that John would find his way back to war even from the most peaceful heaven. So instead, Amelia learned how to enjoy the taste of war on her cherry lips just like a man's kisses.

"Will fuckin' miss this view when I'm away, love" Price left the bag waiting for the morning on the wooden floor as his gaze shifted to a brunette wrapped in the warmth of his bed. There was something strange yet warming to his own self in finding a company in the walls of his house. The man knew winter nights were the longest, but it was impossible to have too much time. His body joined her on the soft mattress, as the man wasn't breaking eye contact between them.