XXXIV

The open window was letting fresh air inside of the room when the wind moved the curtain away from the frame. Life kept on going on outside of the captain's apartment. The loud giggle of the neighboring kids entered the room in the silence of the morning. Cars were passing along the narrow roads one after another, as the clock was rushing closer to 9. People were running to take their seats in the offices or to check another news report on the TV in their clean living rooms. Heavy clouds were leaving the city behind, letting the cold rays of the sun rain over the cold ground. The light of the sun entered every dusty corner of the bedroom. The rooms lacked the attention of the people throughout the lonely, cold weeks of winter.

A soft giggle of a brunette escaped out of the bedroom doors into the corridors. A large pillow flew towards John who was resting on the other side of the bed. His head was drowning in the softness of the pillows. The blue eyes of the captain were focused on the world outside of the window. If only more people knew how ugly our large really was, would they still live the same way? More questions were appearing in his head before the sharp pain in his leg made the man come back to reality. His injured leg was sitting on the top of the couch pillow that was keeping it above the bed.

"Shouldn't take long to heal," Amelia's cold fingers were running along the rough skin of the captain, as the injury was hiding under one layer of the bandage after another. Carefully, she was wrapping the man's leg trying to do at least something to ease his pain. Even though they both knew Price would never tell if it was hurting badly. He was never the type of man to admit his pain. Not the physical, and never the emotional.

"If you say so, doc," A soft smile was sitting on the man's face, as he was watching the woman in front of him doing her magic with the bandage. For a moment, John wondered why she was sitting there, in the bedroom with him instead of running away and finding peace elsewhere. But to some questions, we may never find the answers. The captain was the man of his job, choosing the duty over every single thing in his life. Even over himself. Maybe this time, someone else had chosen him for his own sake. Or listened to her own heart? None of these options would ever be known to John.

"Are you scared of dying John?" The metal clips kept the bandages fixed, applying the pressure on the man's leg. There was nothing they could do with this injury, only time could heal it, just like the scars on the skin and human heart. The brown eyes looked up at the captain, just to meet in the eye contact as the two had the arms of silence wrapped around them. His large hand reached for her, and with the blink of an eye, Amelia found herself lying on the soft bed sheet in the arms of the man who meant to her more than the whole world outside of the apartment building.

"Who isn't love?" Price whispered in her ear, closing his eyes just for a moment. Sometimes, looking back at the missions he had in his life the captain himself was wondering how his bullet hadn't found him yet. Injuries, scars, and nightmares were endless reminders of how fragile life can be. Despite even the luck turning against him, the man kept on going and accomplishing the missions with his team, until they failed. "But not when I am out on the mission. Death keeps looking over you if you're scared."

"Do you think Johnny was afraid of death that day?" Knight felt the strong hands of the captain holding her body kissed by the cold wind closer to his. Her hands hesitantly, but surely were wrapped around his torso, making the distance between their bodies smaller with each moment.

"No, the only person scared in there was Makarov," John came back into the room from his thoughts. His eyes fell down on the exhausted face of a brunette, as his fingers were tucking the messy hairs behind her ear.

"And yet he escaped," Amelia whispered, letting her eyes meet with Price in an eye contact. Ever since they met there was a shining light in the ocean of browns looking back at him. But now, the dim light was hiding somewhere inside her, wishing not to be found even by the man on the other side of the large bed.

"He won't hide forever and we will be in the shadows waiting," The palm of the captain's hand was running up and down her back as if Price was trying to assure her of his words. Yet they both knew that John was thinking about the revenge day and night. They had to go through the most painful part of all plans – waiting.

"Everyone I've ever cared about is dead, John," The cold hand of a brunette landed on the bearded cheek of the captain. Short trimmed hairs were tickling the skin of her palm, as the thumb was tenderly caressing the skin of the captain. She was biting her lower lip as if she was scared of her own words. Amelia's eyes were looking deep into the man's, as she took a deep breath feeling the choking feeling holding a strong grip around her neck. "Except for you."

"Don't fear the reaper, darling, before it comes for you," Price let a short, but noticeable smile appear on his face. The captain's rough lips touched the tip of her head, holding the woman's body closer to his. Maybe, in a world full of darkness and pain they found the intimate feeling of human closure and warmth in one another.

"I'll try to use your advice, captain," A brunette whispered, letting a man lay comfortably on his back, remembering the pain in his leg. Her face rested on the strong chest of the man, as the woman's fingers were drawing the unknown figures over his hairy chest.

"And I will learn from my biggest mistake," John himself was now whispering as if hoping to keep his thoughts unknown to her ears, but letting the words run into the thin air. There was one thing he admitted Makarov was right about. And that was the mistake that almost cost the captain's life but led to the death of Soap.

"What do you mean Price?" A concerned look of Amelia's eyes run over the man's face. His muscles were relaxed, despite the sudden tension in the air. For a moment, a woman tried to understand what the captain was talking about. But his words nor his face could answer the questions that were popping inside of her head one after another.

"Time to start burying my enemies when they're dead," The seriousness took over John's face and voice. Suddenly, he turned into the man he was out on the field. His heart and mind wanted the get revenge first, and everything else later. Maybe, Price could think about the future after the Makarov would be gone for good. Maybe, a small house around Hereford would be a great escape from the demons living inside of his mind. Maybe, he could finally choose himself just for a split second after the war is over. There were so many maybe in his mind that could turn into a good idea. But there were a few things John needed to finish first. It was the time to dig a couple of graves and get back to unfinished business.

"I'll get you a shovel," Knight found herself looking out at the blue sky outside of the window. Her lips covered the captain's in a short kiss, but yet full of emotions. This time, Amelia wasn't choosing herself. She chose him. But how fucking good it felt, for the first time in weeks of endless pain.

And something was telling to the both of them on that sunny day that it was just the beginning.

Don't fear the reaper by Tom Rhodes isn't leaving my head today. Have a good week loveees