LVII

The darkness kept the town under its control for days as the thick gray clouds floated high above the dark roofs. The sun tried to fight with the darkness but eventually lost the battle just to come back and try again on another day. Dark purple colors were seen at the place where the sky kissed the horizon, as the night was falling onto the city.

There was nothing but darkness in the small room with no windows. A lonely chair stood under the dim light. The gaze of the brown eyes wandered around, feeling as if trapped in an endless nightmare. Amelia wanted to scream, but her voice was quieter than the whisper on the silent night. Heavy steps of the military boots echoed in the metal walls of the container, as Graves's face appeared out of the darkness. Knight's own mind was playing the games with her foolish heart. Phillip was a long time dead. He was dead. Or was he?

"C'mon doll, don't be shy," Rough material of the glove touched her tender cheek, as the lonely tear rolled down the porcelain skin. The smirk was sitting on the man's face, as the blue eyes were trying to catch a glimpse of brown on his face.

The lightning touched the cold ground somewhere far away from the base, bringing the echoing noise into every single building it could reach. Drops of cold sweat were sitting on the brunette's forehead, as she escaped the nightmare back into the comforting reality. The goosebumps covered her skin, leaving the woman with the feeling of thirst as if she finished a marathon a moment ago.

The base was quiet. In the late hours of the night, the night guards were checking the empty building, making sure that no shadow would slide through the corridors of the base unnoticed. Steps of the woman's shoes were echoing in the labyrinth of the corridors and her legs were taking her to the only place Amelia knew she could escape to. Thick smoke of the cigar filled the office as the deep blue, tired eyes of the captain were reading reports that seemed endless on Makarov's activity for the last two weeks all over Europe. The tobacco left its taste on John's lips, taking the tension out of his mind. A soft knock on the old wooden door was left unnoticed by the captain, as all of his thoughts were occupied with the mission. Price opened another email from Kate, trying to see at least one time when Makarov could hint at his further actions.

"What happened, love?" John got distracted by the second, louder knock on the door when the figure of a brunette appeared in the doorframe of the office. He couldn't help but look at the clock, noting to himself how deep into the night they were already.

"Got a fucking nightmare, and then just noticed the light in here," Amelia couldn't bring herself to walk further into the office, almost regretting her decision as she looked at the tired face of the captain. Life of millions of people was keeping the weight on their shoulders, and here she was, in the doorframe of Price's office after a nightmare with the dead mean facial expression of a scared puppy. "How is it going?"

"C'mere Lia," Captain closed the laptop shut, as he tiredly rubbed the eyes that were running the whole day over pages of intel. John patted invitingly patted on his tights, catching the eyes of a woman in eye contact.

"Thank you, John," A woman let herself find the most enjoyable seat in the buildings on the man's lap. She shifted her body, trying to find the comfortable passion, as Knight found herself wrapped in the arms of the man.

"I get them too. It's okay, dove," Price whispered, holding a brunette closer to his strong chest. The clock showed how the time was nearing midnight, and in a perfect world, the two of them were supposed to see the dreams and get ready for the next day, instead of finding comfort in the coldness of the captain's office.

Amelia let her eyes explore the man's face as if the two of them met for the first time again. John's face was tense, resulting in the wrinkles that were left on the captain's face with the time and experience appearing more visible. The lines on the forehead and in between his eyebrows were easier to catch. Years of service were written all over the man's face, body, and mind, leaving different scars, traumas, and marks. But Price was in the military for long enough to handle his demons under control and not worry about the scars or any wrinkles. Gray hairs were hiding in the beard and dark hair of the man, but were more noticeable with each passing year in the field. A woman caught herself staring at her captain before their lips found each other in the darkness of the night. Knight could still feel the bitter taste of the man's cigar on her lips, as John was slowly, but surely taking the initiative into his own hands.