XXXVI

The heavy steps of the combat boots were echoing in the dark tunnels under the cold water. The tunnels seemed endless as the trains were passing by one after another. The stale air was taking everything under its control. The service rooms were haunted by emptiness as the lifeless bodies were lying in the middle of the metal flooring. Pools of blood were painting the concrete in red, leaving the stains that will be remembered for a long time by the walls of the tunnels.

A brunette was running along the tunnel, trying not to get hit by the trains casually passing by. The lonely sounds of the bullets being shot on the other side were giving her directions, as the bag with medical equipment seemed to be heavier than the weight of the whole world on Price's shoulders. The bodies of the civilian workers suddenly changed to Konni soldiers, who were never meant to complete their mission. Endless shells from the bullets were thrown all over the floor, creating their own pattern. Another train passed by, bringing the cold wind from the other side of the tunnel and hitting her face. Amelia's brown eyes were calmly looking around, but her heart felt nothing but horror. She followed the noise deeper into the tunnel, just to find it empty once again. The loop of her own nightmare seemed endless. The gaze of the officer's eyes noticed a man on the floor, as her legs were taking her further and deeper into the tunnel.

"No! No, John!" The woman's voice echoed in the captain's apartment, as the cold sweat covered her body. The air seemed to escape out of her lungs, as Knight was hungrily gasping one sip after another, trying to bring the calmness back into her body. It was just a nightmare. She wasn't in the tunnel, but instead in a warm bed in the company of the man she loved the most in our dark world. But this dreadful nightmare was a part of her life now.

"Shh, it's just a nightmare," John's voice was quiet, as the man was almost whispering. His hand was rubbing the brunette's back, he was watching her come into reality from the nightmare. Price knew this feeling way too well, but the medications inside of his nightstand were keeping his demons under control, at least for now. "You're home. It's all alright, love."

"Shit, John, I'm sorry for waking you up," Amelia rubbed her face, taking a few deep breaths before finally calming herself down. Her body defenselessly fell down on the warm mattress as the head of a woman was resting on the soft pillows. Questions were appearing in her head one after another. Was she going slowly insane? Were her demons now stronger than her own mind?

"I wasn't sleeping anyway. A bad dream?" The captain was holding a pen in his hand, as the woman finally realized that the other side of the bed was way too cold. She turned to the side, letting their eyes meet in eye contact, as the palm of the man's strong hand was tenderly stroking the porcelain skin of her cheek.

"A fucking nightmare. I was back in the damned tunnel, but this time you were the one on the ground," A brunette whispered as if she was trying to forget the scenario her own head put her into.

Throughout the years of her life, Knight had numerous people who were important to her taken away by the reaper way too soon. Family members, friends, even past lovers. Sometimes, a woman was wondering if she was the reason for it, even if every single death was rationally explainable. Life seemed to change the colors since her best friend who was her grandma was the first person to leave her side. Fast, unexpectedly, and terribly painful for a brunette. After Soap's death, the list of the people she cared about became even shorter. An officer was keeping a distance between herself and her own family to keep them in their bubble of safety. If she had been the one who chose to bring the war into her life, Amelia's family would not have made such a decision for themselves. Her nightmare portrayed her biggest fear at the moment – losing Price. The cold hands of a woman were wrapped around the captain's body, and the tip of her nose touched the warm skin of John's neck. The man was thinking about the plan he left in the kitchen and how short the night really was to finalize all his thoughts. But instead of running back to the table, that was reminding him of his desk, Price held a woman closer to his body, letting her realize that it was nothing but a nightmare.