XXVI

The fog was falling on the base, taking the countless buildings under its power. The rare clouds were flowing on the bright blue sky as the sun kissed the horizon. Another day passed, and the last rays of the sunset ran along the tall walls of the building before the darkness took the whole city in its arms.

The table lamp clicked as John noticed the last light of the sun leaving his office. Artificial warm light ran from one corner of the room to another as if escaping the cage of the darkness. A thick smoke was rising up in the air, while the cigar was sitting in the rough fingers of the captain. Finally, some intel on Makarov got into Laswell's hands. Price knew that soon he would leave the walls of the office for one of the most important missions of his life. Countless thoughts were keeping the man awake, as the wish to get his hands wrapped around Makarov's neck was getting unbearable with each passing day.

"Looks like you're not enjoying being such a brat on your second day of training, love," A loud slap against the bare skin of a brunette's ass echoed in the captain's office. John's eyes were nowhere else but at the view of a woman bent over his wooden desk. The sun disappeared behind the horizon, leaving the yellow light to run over the reddish skin of Amelia's ass.

"Fuck, Price. I apologized right away," She whispered, trying not to make the situation even worse for her own self. Knight's training had just begun, and John expected to hear different things about a woman, even to see her give up, but not to be rude to commanders on the first day. And now, the captain had no other option but to teach a lesson to his little dove.

"Oh did you?" Price's voice sounded naïve for a split moment, as the cigar got the last bit of his attention before touching the cold edges of the ashtray. His hand softly rubbed the red skin, before another slap landed on the woman's ass. "You have to think before you do something, Knight."

"I will," The captain's belt tied around Amelia's wrists was one of the few things keeping her at the same place. A woman's back was almost screaming in pain after a long time in a bent position, but her face didn't show anything to the man.

"Can't hear you, love," The gaze of the blue eyes looked out of the window, just to see the darkness falling onto the base. John took a pause, making the brunette think that he was done, but right at the moment when her body was ready to relax, the man's strong hand left another slap on the other side of the woman's ass.

"Yes, captain. Fuckfuckfuck, I will think before saying something," The burning sensation was finally too much to handle for her, and Amelia gave up on Price's game, letting him win this time. But, each slap made her regret a thousand times that she couldn't keep quiet on the first day of the training in the surroundings of the commanders. Another lesson Kight learned that night – Price will always find his own ways to get to know everything he needs to know.

"How good you look on my desk, dove," A smirk was sitting on the captain's face as the tight grip of the belt around Amelia's wrists suddenly disappeared. John looked at the red skin of a woman's body, knowing that it would remind her for a while about this evening. His body touched the soft material of the chair, as the tiredness took over the captain. Maybe sitting and waiting was even more exhausting than chasing Makarov in a run.

"Tell me you didn't bring me here just because I look good on your desk, John," Knight tried to fight with the stiff feeling all over her body from standing in the same position for the last hour. She couldn't help but look at the captain, as he was helping her to put back the uniform on the woman's body.

"No, not because of that," Price met with the gaze of the brown eyes for a quick moment, as he couldn't voice the real reason why she was there. Because she was one of the few whom he trusted with the medical assistance for the whole team, and somehow a brunette in his office was bringing the long-forgotten feeling of relaxation back into his body and mind. But the captain's lips were motionless, keeping all the reasons to himself and a woman with no other options but to guess. "I'll see you tomorrow, and I better hear about the training from you, not from anyone else."

"I've learned my lesson today, captain," Knight placed her hand against the rough bristles of John's beard as the two kept looking in the eyes of each other. A woman knew she had to go and catch the last hours of sleep before the morning came, but something was keeping her in the man's office as if her legs were standing buried deep in the cement.

And just for a moment, Amelia wondered if they could ever be like the rest. If only they were not fighting the war every single day. None of them ever feared the reaper, but rather the burning feeling somewhere inside of the chest hidden deep under the uniform.