XLII

The heavy footsteps of the general echoed in the labyrinths of the endless corridors of the Pentagon. The building was unusually quiet. Artificial white light was giving its warmth to the cold and emotionless faces of women and men who worked days and nights for the good of their country. But that evening, the corridors were as empty as the desert on a sunny summer day.

The door opened under the strength of the man's hand after the joyful 'beep' of the smart lock echoed in the hallway. Shepherd's office was covered in darkness, as the city lights were shining over the American flag. It didn't take long for the door to shut and keep the man away in the walls of the room. His legs were walking along the well-known path to the hardwood desk, as the steps of the general echoed in the quietness of the dark evening. Even though Shepherd was used to the view out of his office, something on the horizon caught his attention as the gaze of the general's eyes sat on the Washington Monument for way too long than it usually did, as if the man was questioning his choices, orders, and the last years of service. But it did not last long. Shepherd, in his own eyes, was a patriot, protecting his own country. Even if he was burning the whole world to do so, or stabbing the people around him in their backs.

The old chair creaked under the weight of the man, as he finally left the city behind him and focused all attention on the folder that was sitting on the top of the hardwood desk. The table lamp brought the light into the room but stayed near the general as if being afraid of anything that could hide in the corners of Shepherd's office. The gaze of general was sitting on the words that created the whole report when he finally realized that he wasn't alone in the office that evening.

"John," Shepherd turned his face to the darkest corner of the room, just to see Price appear out of the shadows.

"General," The captain's voice was cold, as he looked at the man as a hunter to prey, despite their rankings.

"How did you get in here?" Medals and stars were shining in the dim light on the general's jacket. He was looking back at Price, as if playing with time and making their conversation last longer, knowing exactly why John was in his office.

"Mutual friend," The man's eyes didn't leave the general's face even for a moment. Price's face remained emotionless, not even a single muscle moved as he watched Shepherd from a distance.

"Mhmm... Laswell," The general kept his gaze at John, while his fingers were reaching towards the gun under his desk as if it could save him. When the captain finally left a warm, comfortable chair in the corner, they both knew that the death herself was ready to wrap its arms around the man.

The lights of Washington were so far away, yet close. The dim light of the room showed the outline of the silencer in the hands of the captain. One step after another, Price was taking his time to shorten the distance between them.

"You're better than this, captain," Shepherd's voice remained unchanged, quiet, and unbothered. But even a man like him was afraid of death. No one is ready to meet with the reaper face to face. Years in service made the general wonder at what time would his bullet find his scull, and maybe, that evening, the man has finally found the answer to that question.

"We both were," The wooden desk was the only thing keeping the distance between them. The hard surface was the only reason why John's hands were still on the gun, and not wrapped around the general's neck, taking the last breaths out of his body.

"This job is about making sacrifices for the greater good," Shepherd focused his eyes on the man who was the reaper that evening. Feeling as if negotiating with the terrorist, the general was more like a mouse stuck in the corner.

"Agreed," Price made his decision when his foot stepped inside of the Pentagon. Nothing that was coming out of the man's mouth could change his mind. The captain knew Shepherd was playing with time trying to postpone his time of death for at least a couple of minutes. And during that time even the freshest air felt like poison.

"You got a body count of your own, John," The captain's blue eyes were looking at his target at the desk when the muzzle of the gun aligned perfectly with Shepherds' head. Price remained silent, as his rough finger flipped the safety off the gun, and created the only sound in the silence of the night. "It will come back to haunt you."

"Oh, I am not gonna beg for my life. Not from you or anybody else, captain," The general froze in his chair. His hands were no longer reaching out for a gun, to try to fight, while his mind failed the negotiation. Their conversation was already over as the words kept on flying out of his mouth but created the noise Price wasn't even paying attention to.

"Wouldn't do you any good" John kept his eyes on Shepherd for the last time, before the bullet flew out of the gun, just to meet with the skull of the general.

The captain looked at the lifeless body of the man, as Shepherd found his final rest on the desk. The mission was done, successfully this time. John's legs were taking him out of the room, along the long corridors of the building. The heavy door creaked, as it closed the office of the general and hid his dead body away from the witnesses. Another last name was crossed off the captain's list in bloody red ink.

And finally, with each day getting closer to his 40s Price took advice from his greatest enemy. Burying the enemies alive wasn't in the captain's style anymore.

Oh my god, thank you sunshines for 4k!!! This story is the long ride, but I hope you're enjoying it. Loooots of love!