LX

The sun was setting over the horizon, as what seemed like the longest day in the year was nearing to an end. The sky was painted over in bright paints of orange mixed with bloody red, and the warmth of the spring could finally be noticed in the air of the capital. Laughter was taking over the pubs when the last seats were getting ready to be occupied in a moment. People were walking along the long streets, while the cars were rushing from one bank of the Thames to another. As the sun was out, it felt as if life got instantly better. All the worries no longer mattered by the end of the second pint. But, the danger is always hiding in the darkest corner and waiting for the right time to fall onto the city.

The sunrays were running over the glass roof of the Waterloo Station. Some of them were entering the platforms, as if ready to hop on another train to give the warmth to the rest of the country. But, instead of running over the faces of the passengers, the sunrays were met with the cold concrete floor of the station. Vladimir looked at the watch that was sitting on his wrist, as the metal door with the sign 'staff only' hid his silhouette in the labyrinth of endless corridors through the station and stairs. The captain's steps were mixing in the same symphony with Makarov's, as Price followed the man upstairs. Every single time Makarov was escaping right under the captain's nose, but this time was different. John was following the russian with the gaze of his icy-blue eyes.

Price didn't know much about the situation outside of the station. The broken comms of the team kept it a secret from him if both, Kyle and Amelia were alive. There was nothing but anger on John's mind when the cold wind of the evening kissed his face as the two walked out to the roof. The platforms under the feet of the captain were empty. Not a single passenger was meant to catch the train that afternoon. But instead, the captain was catching his biggest enemy.

"Vladimir Makarov! Stay where you are! Now!" The helicopter was still far away from the station, but Price could hear the sound of the engine nearby. There was no way the captain would let Makarov escape yet again. John was ready to put an end to this story, even if it would cost him his own life.

"You scared, Captain? You should be," Vladimir turned away facing his enemy. The tailored suit was hiding under the armored west that was hugging his chest. The man glanced at the watch once again, checking how far away from the station his exile could be.

Makarov and Price looked at each other, as the silence wrapped its arms around the two men. The captain's hand was sitting on the trigger of his weapon, as one side of Price wished to end it quickly and take out the threat from the city. But, the other side of his wanted Vladimir to suffer through the last moments of his life. Revenge was always a dish served cold, and dinnertime for Makarov had just started.

"Enjoy London as you know it, Price. It won't last long," Vladimir turned around, looking at the skyline of the capital for a split moment as if trying to remember how the city looked before his evil plan got executed.

He wasn't scared. Makarov knew that Price had so many opportunities right in his hands to kill him, but haven't finished any. The smirk of over-confidence was sitting on the face of the man, as Vladimir was finalizing the plan of the escape in his head.

"You're not a soldier, Vladimir. You're a war criminal," Price was carefully taking one step after another on the glass surface of the roof. The distance between the two men was shortening faster than Makarov could realize it. John's hands were holding his weapon as if it were the only thing he could care about in our large, dark world as he watched his enemy swim in the success of his unfinished plan. "All civilians have nothing to do with you damned country."

"What's stopping you from helping them, captain?"  Vladimir noticed the helicopter on the horizon nearing the station. There was the last thing Makarov had to finish before boarding the metal bird – Price. It seemed as if the man hesitated for a moment, waiting for the captain to be the first to attack just to fail later.