XIII

The footsteps of the heavy combat boots were echoing in the endless dark corridors of the base. One step after another a brunette was closer to making the decision. One part of her wanted to run into the captain's office and scream out loud about the incoming danger. But the other part, somewhere deep inside a woman was willing to fight on her own. A silencer hidden from the training before was scratching against the soft skin of her back, keeping the posture of Amelia straight as her legs were taking her deeper into the base. Knight knew that being suspicious of the other people on the base could raise too many questions in the air when her legs turned from the corridor that would take her to Price's office to the completely opposite side where the medical ward was.

"Hello, love," A deep rusty voice appeared almost out of nowhere in the deserted, dark corridor, when a strong grip of the man's hand landed on Amelia's shoulder, taking her to the side and hiding them both behind the concrete wall.

"Hi John," And suddenly, all the plans inside of a woman's head were ruined by a single phrase coming from the captain. Amelia took a deep breath, as the anxiety taking over her head suddenly was thrown out of the window as her body was pressed against the cold wall by the strong body of Price. "Have you seen Soap or Gaz?"

"I had," John let the gaze of his eyes meet the running-around brown eyes of a woman. The last thing he needed was a little officer running around the base and telling everyone about Konni's activity. If manipulation was a combat skill, maybe Price could become a captain even earlier. He knew the power of his order, but even better did the captain know the hold he kept around the neck of a brunette.

"I have to alert the commanders," Knight almost whispered, finally breaking eye contact between the two. It's been a while since Amelia was out on the ground, fighting and not surrounded by the walls of the medical ward, endless tapes with dried blood, and the screams of agony in pain. The gun in her back pocket was just insurance, as the part of her wanted to hear the alarm all over the base and see the soldiers getting ready for what they were trained for years.

"No, you don't," A strong hand of the captain landed on the tender skin of a woman's cheek. The rough fingertips still had traces of the tobacco ash from the cigar the captain finished in the walls of his temporary office. Finally, his fingers lifted up the chin of a woman, making their eyes meet each other in eye contact once again.

"Do you think some of them could betray the country and work with them?" A worry was suddenly planted in Knight's mind. Working for a couple of years at the base made her meet almost every single commander in the walls of the corridors or in her office. But never a woman could think that one of the tough faces could be a traitor to the whole base and their own country.

"You have to trust people to know if they will betray you," Price took a step back as if his body was electrocuted at the same moment. Life gave him too many lessons, and one of them he learned too well throughout the years in the army: trust can be proven, but it can be betrayed in the blink of an eye.

"And let me guess, trusting is not something a captain like you usually can do?" Amelia couldn't help but keep on looking into the man's deep blue eyes, waiting for an answer when the only thing that was between them was the heavy silence.

Suddenly, something heavy ached inside of her body. Price's blue eyes had been looking at the world with a cold gaze ever since he could remember himself, and nothing in the world could change that. The captain buried too many of his friends deep under the ground and saw way too much for his eyes to look at the world as soft as they used before. Amelia finally could understand how bad her situation was. Years of protecting her heart from anyone suddenly went down when the rough lips of the man landed on hers. She was never a fighter, nor a warrior, but more of a healer, and more than anything in the world now Knight wanted to give him a feeling of ease in the darkness of the world they were living in. Even if the next couple of hours could put them all into a hell of a situation. Amelia kept the gaze of her dark brown eyes on the captain, hearing the silence of the corridor, when the possessive kiss of her lips landed on the lips of the man. Hungrily breathing the heavy air of the base, the woman was making a kiss deeper with each moment, not wishing to let go of the man standing in front of her. There was something drunkening in Price's presence, yet a feeling of the security that he left in her mind. 

"Do you think you have enough ammo?" Price's large palm landed on the back of a woman before a realization of the gun's outline under the heavy uniform of a brunette drew the hind of a smirk on the edge of his lips.

"I can find more," She whispered, not wishing even the walls surrounding them to hear a little secret of hers.

"You better, If they move before morning, it won't be so peaceful here," The sudden sound outside of the window made the captain feel as if the glass of the cold water was splashed right into his face. He needs to care for his boys, get rid of the main threat, and complete his mission. Price needed to be anywhere, but not in the presence of the woman who could give up anything for him.

"John.." Amelia was watching the captain as if a part of her finally wanted to understand what was happening inside of his head. But both of them knew, that even if they were close physically, it never meant that he would open up like a book under her tender touch.

"I have to run. Let me go, dove," John whispered, unexpectedly even for his own self. A tight grip of the cold hands was on his uniform, drawing their bodies closer, but it felt for a moment even more intimate than when they both were baked in the light of the moon during the coldest nights.

"You have to come back alive from whatever happens," Amelia wrapped her hands around the captain's shoulders, as finally, the weakest part of her was escaping with each word out of her mind. John's aroma felt suffocating, as the tip of her nose was buried in his freshly shaved skin of the neck. For a quick moment, a brunette could understand what lovers were feeling when their other halves were leaving to fight the war, but none of them were ever committed to each other. Knight felt for the captain harder than she could ever admit to herself in the silence of the sleepless night. But the red lips of a woman were whispering everything her mind couldn't even think about."Come back to me, Price."

"I'll see you soon, Lia," Price let his hand run over the back of a woman, carefully, as if with some feeling of tenderness to it was touching her body under the heavy fabric of the uniform's jacket.

The drowning feeling was taking her over as the heavy steps of the man were the only sounds in the labyrinth of the corridors. Even with the weapon hidden in her pocket, Amelia felt weaker than ever before. But, the heavy smack of realization of the harsh reality fell right into her face with the first sounds of an alarm all over the base. There was no chapter to this story about her weakness because every soldier knows that the weakest die first once they are out in the wild. And if Price had some kind of positive impact on her, it was the realization that a brunette was ready to fight, and not to give just to be protected by someone she loved. 

I love Price so much I CAN'T