XII

The haze of the clouds was flowing through the bright winter sky. Sky rays were playing with the metal roof of the base, as the warm days of winter were still present in the air. It was unusually warm for December, to the point where an outside training facility finally got some visitors on the sandy ground.

One shot after another was echoing in the peaceful silence of the day. Drops of sweat were running down the face of a brunette covered in blush, as she tried to find the most known figure in between the concrete walls. Training with Soap and Gaz seemed like a fun idea in the morning, but in the afternoon it felt like the hardest workout Amelia's muscles ever felt. Being at the base in the middle of nowhere had its positive sides, a routine of daily check-ups on the soldiers pushed her combat skills into the background as they were fading away with each passing day. But suddenly, with the captain walking into her life, Knight wanted to be better, to remind herself that she wasn't a nurse, but a fighter at the end of the darkest day. The dust of the ground was settling on her face when the woman's legs were taking her to the other wall just to be stopped by the bullet passing right next to her body the next moment.

"If you shot this way in the wild, you'll be dead in two seconds," Gaz let a soft laughter escape in the air when his face was finally visible from the improvised roof of a one-story building.

"C'mon Gaz I am not a combat medic," There was a note of sadness in her voice, as the words escaped Amelia's mouth. Suddenly, years of pain appeared in the head of a brunette with the echoing words of her own father who wanted her to become a doctor. But his daughter wanted to help her country, even if the price for that was giving up the relationship with everyone who knew a brunette in the past. There is a positive side to anything, and if her body would ever lay on the ground, at least there would be no one mourning over it.

"More of a school nurse, Mel," Soap's voice appeared out of nowhere with the silhouette of his body on the other side of the field. The days of silence at the base were passing one after another, turning into a loop of countless minutes that looked the same. At least, there was a note of laughter in the air at this point, taking the pressure of the day away.

"Hey!" A brunette turned to the side where Johnny's voice was coming from. Johnny knew he pressed at the weak and painful point of a woman with his phrase, but only by feeling the pain you can finally overcome it, and both of them knew it.

"You just need more training," Gaz joined the two on the dirty ground, as the mutual agreement to end the training was reached in the silence of the sunny afternoon.

The three were ready to see what the lunch was bringing to the tables of the base before coming back to everyday tasks. Suddenly, their gaze was drawn to the sudden noise coming from the helicopters flying to the north of the base and hiding in the peaks of the mountains. Soap and Gaz could name the emblem on the tail of the heli even if they were woken up in the middle of the night, but Amelia could only understand that the helicopters were definitely not the coalition's. There were questions running in her head, as the legs of the brunette stood on the solid ground, counting one bird after another as the pressure was rising up at the same moment in the chilly air.

"Johnny?" Knight was almost whispering, seeing another helicopter circle around the walls of the base, but not close enough to raise the alarm at the very same moment,

"What's wrong?" Soap's legs were walking faster towards the base, but the face of the man was emotionless. Not even a single thought was written in the soft wrinkles of Johnny's face, even though his mind knew quite well that the combat skills of the team would be tested in the nearest hours when the dark falls onto the ground. Darkness could hide the uniforms of russians, but 141 would be ready for a hot greeting.

"Tell me you're seeing these heli's too," Amelia stood in the middle of the training ground, seeing how the helicopter disappeared in the same mountains it was coming for. The guards on the towers were alerted, but the helicopter wasn't enough to worry everyone at the base. At the same moment, the cold winter day didn't seem so peaceful anymore. "They are not ours."

"You find Ghost, I'll get Price. Shit is about to come down," Gaz knew that his teammate noticed the emblem on the tail of Konni's, and even with the silence from Laswell, the situation was speaking louder than any intel or a phone call could.

"What kind of shit at least?" Amelia's voice finally vocalized one of the questions that were haunting her mind, as the three entered the warm walls of the base full of people who were unaware of what was going on behind the tall walls of the base.

"Get yourself a weapon in your desk, Mel, they'll be coming hot and so are we," Soap whispered, not wishing anyone else to hear his words to the friend of his younger days.

And before a brunette could ask any other question, the silhouettes of two soldiers disappeared in the long corridors of the base. Her heavy boots were echoing on the other side of the hallway, Knight's brain was telling her to keep the weapon from the training while her thoughts wanted to hear the raspy voice of the captain and reassure her that it was just a drill. But Amelia knew fairy tales were left behind in her childhood, and there was no prince to save her in the walls of the dark castle. 

I AM FINALLY BACK I SWEAR. Sorry loves, December is a bit of a chaos for me but it's getting bette now hehehe. Ready for our favorite captain???